The Build Continued As Did The Problems

So after the cockpit incident I started to build the kit up as per normal
but there were some terrible fit issues, the lower and upper wing
sections are actually part of the main fuselage sections and were warped
pretty badly, so much so that they originally broke the fully cured
cementing when I took of the clamps!

After sorting this issue out the intakes didnt really fit properly either and it was at this point I also noticed the massive steps between the upper and lower fuselage. The
difference was actually that bad I wondered if I had put the parts
together correctly again after opening it back up to insert the
cockpit,(the difference was almost the full thickness of the kit
material, so through lack of self confidence I opened the fuselage back
up again and checked the fit again.

Satisfied that I hadnt actually gone mental and had put them together incorrectly I cemented them back together again whilst squeezing the sides in as much as I
could to reduce the difference as much as possible. I pondered what to
do with the step for a while and in the end I decided to buy a tube of
filler and try to apply it, remembering I had already painted the parts I
then had to strip the paint from the area as best I could.

Much sanding, lost detail and frustration later I had one side almost level
but it just didnt and to an extent still doesnt look right as I had no
rescribing tools or templates so I literally free handed and few panel
lines etc with my scalpel from memory and reference photos but am really
not happy with the finish, but it got worse.

I was handling the model to try and attach the nose cone and attach the bottom ariels
etc and I can only assume that fitting the nose applied pressure along
the joint along the front of the fuselage. This combined with the
pressure already in the joint from me cementing the fuselage together
whilst squeezing in the sides to reduce the step as best I could must have been too much as the cementing failed and caused the filler to crack.

Much swearing later i decided simply to ignore the problem, quite literally.
I decided at this point I no longer cared too much what the end result
looked like and that this kit was only to get my hand back in and
practice with my airbrushing etc.

I assembled the rest of the kit and applied a gloss coat to protect the paint and began applying the decals. I had never used decal fix before either and this stuff is
awesome, even if it does smell of cat piss. I had already decided to build the swiss agressor f-5 as i had never seen these decals with an F-5 kit before.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s