The peel to reveal!


So here it is masking peeled. Im pretty happy with the result as it looks a closer to an accurate Type-A Scheme than I would have achieved without using the pre cut mask.

Now I’m sitting here thinking bugger, I still have masking to do as I just realised I have done the white/black on the underside! Better get the tape out!

Greeeeeeeen!


So on goes the green part of the Type A camouflage pattern. For this I am using Tamiya Dark Green XF-61. I have to say of the 3 brands of Acrylics I have used since getting the airbrush the Tamiya is by far my favourite.

Hurricane gets masked off!


Another update but this time for the 1/72 Hurricane Mk1 thats on the bench. I had bought a camouflage masking set for this model as I had never used one before and wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

I must admit that whilst the pre cut  mask isn’t perfect and some parts of it were over sized by a bit and needed some adjusting,  but generally speaking they’re great, so much quicker and easier to mask up the model in question without having to sit rolling blue-tac or trying to cut masking tape etc.

Gnat ready for masking


Ok so it has been a while since I have posted any updates, its been hard to get time to do much at the bench over the last week or so and when I have been at the bench its seems I have spent an inordinate amount of time sorting out what should be minor issues. Anyway I finally got the Light Aircraft Grey on the Gnat, I am using enamels on this one rather than acrylics and this in itself has not been without issue but its done now and she is finally ready to be masked off for the Dayglo work to be done!

More progress on the 2nd Gnat


So I have continued working on the 2nd 1/72 Gnat whilst waiting for the paint masks to arrive for the Hurricane. Cockpit all built up and detail picked out on the sidewalls, just waiting on the paint drying on the undercarriage.

Airfix Folland Gnat T1 1/72 with Aftermarket Parts!


Ok so whilst I am waiting for my paints to arrive for the Hurricane MkI I have decided to make a start on the 2nd of my 1/72 Gnats. On this build I will be using Wolfpacks amazing little Resin 4GT/1 Ejector seats, a Pavla Vacform canopy (as I cracked the in box one trying to cut it so I could position open). I will also be using a combination of the in box decals and I will be making up new serials for this one so as they don’t clash with the one thats already completed.

I did consider getting a full resin cockpit from Pavla but to be honest the instrumentation is that small the stock parts suffice fine. This aircframe is going to be wearing the Light Aircraft Grey / DayGlo Orange combination as opposed to the first kits High Speed Silver / DayGlo scheme.

So as you can see from the photo I have spent this evening painting up and assembling the seats. Now I just need to sand off the resin bases!

Small Progess on Hurricane MK1


So heres where I am up to with the Hurricane build. I haven’t really had a lot of time to work on this the last few days but hopefully I can get it masked up and ready for paint over the weekend.

The fit between the fuselage and wings isn’t the greatest. I could have spent more time fettling the parts to a better fit than I have done but its nothing that can’t be hidden with some putty

A Little Progress!


So there’s been a little progress on the the Hurricane, theres a few fit issues I didn’t expect considering its a new tool. The lower half of the wing is a fair bit bigger than the top and on the trailing edge you get left with quite a gap for some reason. Also a little strange is the fact they have made the kit so as you have to fit one of the clear parts (tinted clear amber here on my build) so early, and prior to any paint being done! Granted it’s no great shakes to mask it well but it wouldn’t have been difficult to alter the way the clear part fits to make it so as the part could be fitted after the paint has been done.

Productive afternoon at the office!


So it was quiet on Friday afternoon in the office so I decided to make a new paint rack for my bench. It’s constructed from 10mm white PVC Foam (the green is just the protective masking on the material) which is all glued in place. Bottom shelf is wider than the rest to allow for thinners bottles, mixing jars etc.

Decals done!


So the Gnat is essentially finished. Thats the last of the decals on. I still haven’t decided what to do about weathering on this one as of yet, or even if I am going to weather it at all, I will be dropping her a couple of coats of Klear over the next couple of days just to protect the decals so plenty of time to decide. In the mean time though thats another build done and I get to move my focus on to the MK1 Hurricane!