Most of the construction on the snowspeeder is complete and I’ve revealed the chipping and begun the weathering. most of the weathering will be with Ammo products, can really see how rusted the radiator looks in this photoset, love the rusting pigment, really effective I think
This book unsurprisingly covers the development of the FW190, a German aircraft that really was a workhorse for the Luftwaffe during WWII with its many variants allowing it to be utilised for a wide range of mission, from air superiority to bombing missions in theatres from the Eastern Front to North Africa.
The book begins by concisely covering the development of the type from its prototype to production aircraft and the many variants developed for the various missions and theatres they were deployed for. This part of the book covers many of the improvements and alterations throughout the variants of the type, their armaments and their mission types; there is also an explanation of the colours and markings used on the type.
The book then contains over a hundred fantastic photographs, a few of which are even in colour, showing the aircraft in a huge range of situations, theatres and variants all of which are all captioned to explain what they show along with any other pertinent information about the photographs. The images published included some lovely detail shots and some images of rarely seen captured aircraft and a few other unusually marked airframes.
On the whole I found the book to be a great source reference material and information, whether it be for general interest or looking at it like myself as a model maker. The publication is a great source of inspiration and information about the type for anyone interested in aircraft of this era and is a superb resource for anyone looking for photographic reference material on this extremely important aircraft.
The book is available from Pen and Sword at: http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Focke-Wulf-190-Paperback/p/11806
Well along with my first foray into the world of sci-fi modelling I am adding something new to the blog, I have been approached to review books for Pen and Sword who are publishers of a variety of military, aviation, martime, local history, true crime and nostalgia books which I have agreed to do with the focus of my reviews being military history and in particular aviation books.
As model makers we are always in search of reference material for our projects, whether this be in photographic form or the written word with first person accounts of missions, deployments and exercises so I thought I would add the my reviews of the books to the blog to try and help point people in the right direction for sources of reference material.
Heres some more images from my build of the Revell 1:52 Rebel Snowspeeder kit. It’s a pretty basic kit so progress is quick however it is a nice kit to work with. a little preshading around the panel lines, and plenty of chipping which was the reason I was building this, in order to practice my weathering and chipping.
As you can see the decals for the orange markings have been chucked and I have airbrushed it all, there is steel underneath the main base grey in the areas I wanted to depict as battle damaged or worn. I have also chipped the various other colours to depict wear and tear. I have also weathered the radiator etc at the rear using various rust powders and washes from Ammo.
Well to keep my mojo from dropping I decided to give something different a go and as I had a voucher I picked up one of the Revell 1:52 Rebell Snowspeeder kits to have a play about with and practice a few of my techniques on.
I decided straight away I wasnt going to use hardly any of the kits decals and instead would be painting all the sqaudron identifying colours to allow me to practice my chipping and weathering techniques, so I dived right in and as always I started by painting up the cockpit and instrument panels.
I have finally began the second build for the helicopter group build over on the Britmodeller forum, the Revell 1/72 Huey UH-1D SAR. First up is the cabin, this came together really easily and looks quite nice now its done.
Next up I plan on tackling the vents on the engine housing as these are all wrong for a German machine.