Here she is in her finished form, I finished her over a week ago truth be told I just hadn’t had time to update the blog until now. I have to say I am very pleased with the way she turned out, I actually had to scratch build one of the windows as I lost it to the carpet monster at the last minute.
I could probably do with dropping a panel line wash on her just to bring out the vents etc that I worked to correct, other than that there isn’t really anything else to say. The kit itself, well much like the subject its certainly showing its age, but it you spend a bit of time working on it, I think it really pays off as it builds into a great model of this venerable old helo.
Another update on the UH-1D, I think I am still running to schedule for getting her completed for tomorrows group build deadline. I got most of the paint done last night, the doors could do with another coat and theres a few touch ups needed in places, she should be good enough for decals this afternoon, then I can get the final touch ups a details painted tonight (maybe sand off that light above the engine nacelle and replace with a clear sprue sections or something too) and the get her glass fitted and finally rotors on along with the final varnish tomorrow.
I thought I would pop up a post about a new airbrush I picked up a month or so ago, I usually use an Iwata brush for my work with acrylics but I wanted to have a play about with some lacquer based paint so decided rather than running it through my Iwata just to order a budget airbrush off Amazon for my experiments with the new paint. I had a look and ordered this Agora-tec dual action 0.2mm for the princely sum of £23.95 delivered! I was expecting the brush to be some cheap chinese generic and not much good at this price but I have been pleasantly surprised.
Firstly the brush shipped from Germany not China, and secondly it turns out this is a really nice brush. The nozzle is stainless steel rather than brass and the only thing I have done to it is buff the needle to polish the tip and its given me some great results. I am amazed at how fine I can get the detail with this brush too.
It has an adjustable needle stop and an airflow adjuster on the brush making fine tuning for detail a little easier and if you look in the images above it can produce some really fine lines/detail. The above pics were taken using a premixed Revell Aqua Acrylic that I had just used for large coverage through a 0.35mm needle on a different brush, this has been sprayed on to a sheet of standard white copier paper and I hadn’t adjusted the thinning/air pressure at all, you can get a much more even line if you spend the time to set it up properly.
I may or may not have realized that my UH-1D build is due for completion this Sunday in order to meet the group build deadline I am building it for! So here’s an update as to where it stands.
As you can see I corrected the vents from Horizontal to vertical slats and added photo etch mesh for the ones at the rear. I have now got the fuselage all buttoned up, primed and pre-shaded. I have also took the tail planes off and attached them to the correct sides beings as how they’re on the wrong way round in the photos 😉
Next up masking the 3 colour camo and getting some paint on so I can get the decals on her Saturday afternoon!
Well it’s finally complete, here’s my finished build of the Revell 1:52 Rebel Snow Speeder kit. I think I only used 3 of the decals that came in the kit in the end, everything else was painted. Painted with Tamiya and Revell Acrylics, chipping with maskol and weathered with Ammo and Humbrol pigments and a home made wash. I am quite pleased with it considering it’s small size and the fact it was my first ever sci-fi build! I hope you like her too!
The Snows Speeder is pretty much done as you can see in the images attached. The battle damage and weathering is being taken care of courtesy of some Maskol chipping as we have seen previous and Humbrol and Ammo pigments! Last few bits to complete!