She’s done, there was a few last minute problems, for example one of the inner pylons was sitting at a strange angle so I had to take the stub wing apart and sand the part to modify the angle in order to prevent the back part of the XM-159 sitting against the skid. There were the other usual touch ups and hassles you get when trying to finish a build but all in all I am really happy with this one, the last two builds, the Huey SAR and this Huey Cobra have been some of my best finished builds to look at. I am finally getting to the stage where I don’t look at the end result and want to chuck it in the bin. I hope you enjoy looking at her as much as I do.
Well we’re on the home stretch! The decals are going on brilliantly thanks to many coats of Klear allowing a few days for them to cure and then soaking the decals off their sheets using good old Humbrol Decalfix. You have to be really careful when using this stuff around Tamiya Acrylic paints but as long as you take care, using sparingly on the model itself and don’t move the decal about too much once on the surface of the model its works great…. lol
Almost time to load her out with some weaponry, for this build I have chosen to build this in heavy hog configuration. One of the only images I could find of this particular airframe show her as being one of those lucky enough to go out equipped with 4 XM-159 19 shot rocket launchers. I have a couple in the spares box from the TH-1 kit I built so that is how I am building her!
Well I have been building up the layers on the Olive drab, here is a quick shot of her in between coats at the moment, I think I have one or two more to go till I have the desired shade and difference with my pre-shade. A little more detail work to be done on the rotors too, here the additional spars being added that are missing from the kit, I also have a couple of pieces of etch to put on.
Here we find a rare upside down Cobra, well the main part of the construction is now complete, the skids, stabilizers, stub wings, turret body and most of the etch are now together. I am being super careful with the skids on this one considering how many times I broke the ones of the TH-1 I built. Almost time for paint!
Another day another update, here’s the Cobra after installing the cockpit and bringing the two halves together. There’s the bottom plate to sort out, apparently the AH-1G should have all those raised details sanded off as I guess they weren’t equipped with these parts back then, best get sanding again
Ok so I am continuing to detail the model with the etch set and I thought I would show you the size of some of these parts. Now I have never really done much with etch before, in fact this is my first build using a full aftermarket etch fret so maybe I will get better with experience, but seriously look at the size of some of these parts and I have to attach them end on to the model without getting CA adhesive everywhere! Thank god Eduard provide a lot of spares for these small parts as there’s currently more in my carpet than glued to this model!
One of my only gripes with these great little AZ kits is the gun turret is a bit basic looking, so again I turned to the superb range of RES-IM and ordered me there replacement turret pack, this comes with 3 different turrets, 2 minigun barrels, the grenade launcher barrel and some other barrel I don’t need with a small fret of etch for the access panels on the underside! Now for the joys of sanding resin, dust masks at the ready people!
Ok so I am a little bit behind in my updates on here, I am struggling to get back into my blogging mind set, here some pictures of the cockpit for the Cobra, I used the RES-IM etch set for the kit. Got to love Eduard Etch