Winging it


It’s finally time to get back to sticking some plastic together! I’ve been working on the Vampire again and have managed to get the fuslage shut and the main parts of the wings together. This was fairly uneventful although I have been left with a small step at one of the wing roots which I am not sure how to address without losing some of the fine rivet engraving etc. I may just have to try and reinstate this after some remedial work is carried out.

MiG 27, Getting shady


Well I can wait no longer, time to get some paint down, this is proving to be a little more difficult than usual as my AS186 chinese compressor keeps overheating, I will strip it down again and see if I can’t get it somewhere near normal, if not I guess the letter to santa will be leaving early this year!

Cockpit complete




Well after what seemed like far too many parts of etch the cockpit is pretty much complete and it’s time to shut the fuselage up, meaning that most of the etch will never be seen again but that’s nothing new is it! Onward!

Multiple Builds


I thought I would make a post about how I find trying to cope with simultaneous multiple builds.

Usually I try to only build a single kit at a time, this in theory allows me to focus all my energy into the one build and try and get the build complete as quickly as possible. However like every one else builds, there comes a point in the build where you are stuck waiting for filler to cure, or primer to dry, glue to set or decals to settle where you can’t do anything else that day and it is usually at this point I start looking through the stash and planning my next build, checking I have relevent reference materials, after market parts, paint and so on.

The reason I do this is I have tried to have several builds on the go at the same time in the past but it has never really worked out well. I end up tinkering a little with one, then picking up the other a tinkering a bit with that too and not really acheiving much considering the time spent at the bench.

This time however I have taken a different approach, as I already have my next few builds prepared and planned I thought I would make a start, and although I found myself getting side tracked by the new build a couple of times I have found that if I set myself daily goals or targets of what I want to acheive each day on both builds, I find I am less inclined to waste time faffing about with silly little issues on each of the builds and I am actually able to make some progress.

This got me wondering how other people approach their builds, do they like multiple kits on the go at once, or a single kit? How do they manage their time on each of the builds and do they like the builds to be at around the same stage of build or staggered? Finally I wonder whats the most kits they have in progress at any given point, and I don’t mean cockpit painted, fuselage dry fitted and back in the box not to be seen for months/years as I got a new kit I wanted to start!

Intakes done


Progress slowed a little of late on this one but the intakes are looking OK to my eye, I put primer on to see what they looked like in paint and I don’t think they too bad at all considering the size of the step that was there. I left her belly up with the primer drying on the underside last night, which meant I spent a lot of time looking at those dodgy wheel wells. I may throw in some cabling or something to try and add a bit of interest, depends if I can find any reference images or not.

Tamiya Modeller Sidecutters


As a side from my builds I recently picked up a pair of these Tamiya Modellers Side Cutters or sprue cutters as they are sometimes called on a visit to my local model shop and I am that impressed thought I would post about them.

I was always skeptical about these when I saw them on the shelves of the model stores as they seemed so expensive, especially compared with my cheapo Draper cutters I had been repurposing as sprue cutters but I have to say these are worth every penny.

They feel solid and extremely well made, the handles are nicely moulded and don’t feel like the plastic is going to come off in your hand whilst you’re using them. The cutting edges are extremely sharp and the blades are narrow enough to get fairly close to the model part but easily avoid cutting too close and damaging the part.

I know theres nothing exciting about sprue cutters but if your in the market to get a new pair or are looking to upgrade your existing set then you could do a lot worse than to pick a pair of these up. They really do make the tedious task of removing parts from the sprues a little less tedious!

Vampire Etch


Whilst I am waiting on another coat of Mr Surfacer curing on the MiG-27 I thought I would crack on with the cockpit on the Vampire build. I am not expecting too many issues here as the kit is MPM plastic and the etch is MPM too, so here we are making a start.

Intakes




I knew the intakes were going to be an issue with this kit when I purchased it and right enough they’re an issue! I was going to remedy the issue with Styrene sheet as usual however I had thought about attempting a fix like this previously using several coats of Mr Surfacer but didn’t have the time to see it through, so this time I thought I would take the time to give it a go and see how it turns out, so on goes the first coat!