A Tiny X-Wing


Ok so I am kind of determined to get a model kit lit up with some LED’s but I don’t really want to build any of my larger scale stuff at the moment so off the back of the relatively quick building TIE Fighter I thought I might try my hand at Revell’s 1:112 (what kind of scale is that?) X-Wing Fighter and I am going to try chucking a few LED’s and some Fibre Optics at this one to see what great disaster I can conjure up with a soldering iron and model kit!

Its’s a cheap kit, very simple to build but if I can pull the idea in my head off it should look reasonably good I think. Anyway I forgot to take a sprue and box shot before I starting cutting parts off the sprues so heres a much prettier picture of the box than I would have ever managed.

Advertisements

Peel the masking


I don’t know about you guys but I love this bit, removing the masking from the main scheme and you really get the sense of what the finished article is going to look like. Anyway having removed the masking I now need to add a load more masking in order to paint the red pinstripes and tail sections.

TIE Completed


Well that’s the TIE complete. For all its simplicity it’s a nice looking kit once its built up, gave it a light weathering with some dark grey pigment but nothing too strong. I am actually quite pleased with the way it looks, might even get my proper camera out and take some better photos at some point, but in the mean time here’s the ones taken with my phone!

Paint


Time for another quick update on the Vampire, the main colour is going on nicely, for this I am using a mix of Vallejo Green Black with a couple of extra drops of black to darken a little more. Its going on quite nice so another light coat or two and I should be done and ready to paint the red pinstripes and the tail panels.

The Glazing 


Not much to say really, it’s an iconic TIE Fighter window, painted the wrong colour according to the instructions colour call out. It should be a darker grey than the hull apparently but I didn’t notice this fact until after I had removed the masking, and considering the amount of time it took me to mask the window up … it’s staying the wrong colour. Can you just sense the rage from the StarWars community, the horror!

 

Mellow yellow


I am loving this Mr Color paint, and no that’s not just the fumes talking. This is the first time I have ever used this range of paints and after a couple of disasters trying to thin the paint with various incorrect thinners I finally got a bottle of Mr Color Self Levelling Thinners and a quick test shoot confirmed I should have got the correct thinners from the start as this sprayed beautifully through the 0.2mm with a basic 50:50 mix ratio.

I can certainly see me using more of Mr Color in the future, but in the mean time the main Black Green is going to be supplied courtesy of the Vallejo Model Air range of colours.

Cockpit constructed


Well here’s the completed cockpit for the TIE. There really isn’t much to it, I tried to pick out some of the details in red and black as they are the presiding colours I remember from the films, or at least they’re the colours I associate with the inside of the TIE in my mind; regardless it has busied the office up a bit but I am unsure as to how much of this is actualy going to be visible anyway once its all buttoned up.

Preshade


Well its time for another little update on the Vampire, with all the main airframe construction complete and the Mr Surfacer all cured and sanded it was time to move towards paint so the model was primed with the ever faithful Tamiya Fine, although I will be trialling a new primer on my next build.

Now being relatively new to this preshading malarky it was time for another first for me, a multi-coloured preshade. On this occasion as part of the wings and tailbooms along with the drop tanks are going to be getting painted a yellow colour I have preshaded these parts in Orange, we shall see how this works out shortly as thats her masked up ready for the first coats of Mr Color Chrome Yellow.

More Masking & A Hull


Heres the final paint going on the last of the TIE Fighter Solar panel framework and we can finally move on to something else, in this case it was just the two halves of the tiny hull which also needed a coat of blue/grey. There isn’t actually much else to this kit, just the cockpit and stand to paint up!

Still the Tie Solar Panels


Well I am still working on the solar panels for the TIE, not surprising though as they’re the biggest part of the kit! Here are the first sides of the TIE’s solar panels now the framework has been painted and the masking removed, they’re still not how I hoped but at least the fine moulded details aren’t lost in the flatness of the paint anymore! They look all the better for having the grey framework around them to be honest, surprising how much of a difference this has made to the way they look.