I’ve Hawked that up, well kind of!

20190511_202244.jpg
Dry fitting the wings.

I thought I would do a little work on the Hawk so I thought I would continue with the build and dry fit the wings, well the fit was really good, like unheard of for Airfix good, so in my excitement at the great fit I glued the wings together and attached them to the fuselage, I also took the opportunity to attach the tail planes as you can see in the image below and I retired for the evening and its been a couple of days since glueing as I have been distracted with the laser cutter.

20190603_174232.jpg
Wings and Tail planes attached, but wait.. it seems I have forgotten something!

So I returned from work today and decided to do a little more work on the Hawk. Out came the box and I looked at the instruction sheet to see where I was and what I should be doing next and it was at this point that I realised, in my haste and excitement the other night at finding a couple of parts in an airfix kit that actually fit together, that I had missed out a couple of crucial steps!

I had intended to build the airframe fully loaded out but I have missed drilling out the fixing points for the underwing pylons! Also the wing tip mounted ordinance required the cutting off of the kits wing tips to fit replacement tips that are moulded with pylons. All of this should have been done before building the wings and attaching them to the fuselage as can be seen in the photo of the instructions.

20190603_174303.jpg
Ahh the instructions, maybe I should consult these more often!

So now I have to decide whether to try and take the wings back off and seperate the halves, or just to build her clean with no ordinance. To say I am a little annoyed would be an understatement. I think it’s time to put this one back in the box for a couple of nights whilst I think about this although I fear my choice has already been removed and made for me by the error. In the mean time though I think it’s time to get the SR-71 back out.

Advertisements

One thought on “I’ve Hawked that up, well kind of!

  1. dlloseke June 3, 2019 / 8:50 pm

    If you study the wings closely you can often see where the imprints are for the holes you forgot to drill.
    Another way I have solved that is to find a way to shine a bright led light into the sing and the holes often show up translucent. All you need is one hole and the others can usually be referenced.

    Good luck

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.