Almost as many tools as parts

I know I said I wanted another quick build as a distraction but I am not sure there’s enough building to even count as a distracton! The sub itself only consists of 5 parts! Ok we still have the 3 parts for the stand left over but even still it made me laugh anyway.


Another new build

Well It’s time for another new build to begin, I picked up some kits for much cheap online the other day, got them all heavily discounted as there was superficial damage to their boxes. All the kits inside were checked by the distributor though so I had no hesitation in ordering.

Anyway I digress, there was a few Submarines up for sale and having never built one before I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get my feet wet if you will pardon the pun.

So here is the first of the submarines I picked up. It’s a 1:700 scale USS SSN-21 Seawolf. I had no idea what to expect with these kits as I had never even looked at a model sub before but it seems at this scale theres seriously not much to them!

Still what little plastic is in the box is looking pretty nice. There’s no real flash or obvious moulding issues that I can see, theres an included display stand that already has the model description printd on it. The panel lines are engraved and at this scale I would suspect they are over scale, but if they were to scale they would be that fine you probably wouldn’t be able to see them.

Anyway lets get the sprue bag open and then glue out shall we!

Engine test

So following on from my first YouTube video showing the main instrument panel all lit up I thought that now the engine LEDs were all soldered up and the engines glued up I had better test the LED’s were still working!

As you can see they’re all running fine, the one on the bottom right is sitting a little further back in the engine that the others but I don’t think that it is worth trying to pull apart the engines now the glue is set to adjust, other than that there is still some light bleed where either I didn’t get an even coat of the metallics inside the engines or I have thinned the wall too much. What ever the cause I am hoping a couple coats of my new AK Primer with Microfillers will solve the issue.


Well I avoided a New Years post setting out my aims for the blog this year, as I don’t really have any, my audience is limited and to be honest I do this mainly to catalogue my builds for my own satisfaction and to be able to look back and see how my modelling is progressing.

That said I do have an audience, however limited it may be, so I would at least like to make the blog a little more than a collection of look what I did photo’s. To that extent I am going to try a few new things out over the coming weeks.

I have a received a new airbrush which I was considering doing an un-boxing video on, I have also purchased and been using a new compressor which I was also going to review, although this would most likely be a more traditional written review although depending on the reception my airbrush video gets I may make this a video review too. I am going to try an make more of an effort with my reading also so the book reviews will hopefully become more frequent too. Finally comes the build’s, I was disappointed with my output last year and as we head into March I still don’t have a completed build this year so most of all I want to have ended up with an average of at least one completed build per month from here on in.

To that end, my vampire is nearing completion, I need to get the finger out with the X-Wing and there’s a new build starting soon which is another new subject matter for me!

Routing wire and fibre optics

With the cockpit all painted up It was time to route the cables and fibre optics. I know the pilots helmets not right and it will be fixed but anyway here’s a couple of pics of where I’m at. Now I’m off to get some LEDs wired up and get some tests run.

Preventing light bleed

So I tested an LED in situ and there was significant amounts of light bleeding through the bare plastic so I have painted the insides of the engines with a couple of coats of metallic paint to try and reduce this effect, I still have some spots that I am concerned about due to the wall thickness but I am hoping using a primer on the outside that contains micro fillers should sort that out… fingers crossed!

A bright idea…

So there’s not much room in this in little kit for putting lights in so here are the main parts that are going to need butchered.. err I mean modified to make room, as you can see I have already made a start by removing the front locating pin in the engine nacelle, I think I am going to have to thin the walls a little too in order for a 3mm LED to fit.