The pinstriping and tail panels are painted, time to get the gloss coat on and the canopy masked up ready for paint. Then I suppose it’s on to my least favourite part, decals.


Peel the masking

I don’t know about you guys but I love this bit, removing the masking from the main scheme and you really get the sense of what the finished article is going to look like. Anyway having removed the masking I now need to add a load more masking in order to paint the red pinstripes and tail sections.


Time for another quick update on the Vampire, the main colour is going on nicely, for this I am using a mix of Vallejo Green Black with a couple of extra drops of black to darken a little more. Its going on quite nice so another light coat or two and I should be done and ready to paint the red pinstripes and the tail panels.

Mellow yellow

I am loving this Mr Color paint, and no that’s not just the fumes talking. This is the first time I have ever used this range of paints and after a couple of disasters trying to thin the paint with various incorrect thinners I finally got a bottle of Mr Color Self Levelling Thinners and a quick test shoot confirmed I should have got the correct thinners from the start as this sprayed beautifully through the 0.2mm with a basic 50:50 mix ratio.

I can certainly see me using more of Mr Color in the future, but in the mean time the main Black Green is going to be supplied courtesy of the Vallejo Model Air range of colours.


Well its time for another little update on the Vampire, with all the main airframe construction complete and the Mr Surfacer all cured and sanded it was time to move towards paint so the model was primed with the ever faithful Tamiya Fine, although I will be trialling a new primer on my next build.

Now being relatively new to this preshading malarky it was time for another first for me, a multi-coloured preshade. On this occasion as part of the wings and tailbooms along with the drop tanks are going to be getting painted a yellow colour I have preshaded these parts in Orange, we shall see how this works out shortly as thats her masked up ready for the first coats of Mr Color Chrome Yellow.

Vampire rises from.. the corner of the bench.

So whilst this isnt quite a ressurection of the undead from beyond the grave I thought it about time we did some more work to the Vampire build. I had a few issues with the fit of the intakes, this seems to be a common issue for me and I am starting to wonder if it’s the way I am building the kits.

With the benefit of hindsight I don’t think I would follow the construction order given in the instructions for this if I was to build these parts again I think I would either attach the intake to one half of a wing, attach this to the fuselage then complete with the other half of the wing, or attach the intake to the fuselage first, then put the wing in place before the glue between the wing halves cures just so I can move all the parts in relation to one another to try and get the best possible fit.

However it is what it is and I have a slight step and some gaps to deal with so I go with my tried and tested method of Mr Surfacer 1000 to address this issue. Here’s some photo’s waiting for the 2nd coat of Mr Surfacer to cure after the inital coat was sanded.

MIG-27 Completed

Well she’s done, I know its not a great kit of the subject but I have enjoyed the build a lot. It went together without me wishing I hadn’ bothered starting it so whilst it may not be the most accurate kit around, with the exception of the intakes it was certainly hassle free, which is more than can be said for many kits out there!

Thanks to those that followed along with the build and I hope you like the end result!

Seat detailed

Heres the new and improved seat. I added a back cushion that was made from lead substitute that I usually melt down for nose weights, the seatbelts are PE from the spares box, the ejection pull handle is some styrene rod bent round. I have also put a back on the seat and made some seat rails from more styrene rod that will be used to attach the seat to the newly installed bulkhead, which was fettled from a piece of styrene/plasticard. It’s not fantastic but it should help busy things up I think!

MIG Update

I know I havent posted for a while, things have been a little hectic in the flat so I haven’t had much time at the bench, here is a quick look at the paint on the MiG build now the demarcation has been sharpened up, needs a couple of touch ups etc but its looking ok.

I have also decided on the weapons this ones goingto be carrying, load out is going to be a couple of OFAB-100 on the rear pylons, UB-32 pods on the wing gloves, UB-16 on the outer fuselage pylons and the centre line will carry an external fuel tank. After all, who doesnt like rockets!

So much for keeping it simple

So much for keeping things nice and simple. As I had almost finished the paint I removed the masking tape and blue tack covering the cockpit and it really struck me how poor the cockpit was looking (there isn’t even a control stick) and the seat especially was annoying me, it looked pretty bad and also seems to sit too far forward leaving quite a big gap between the back of the seat and where the none existant bulkhead should be. These photos are from earlier on in the build to illustrate how poor things are looking as standard.