Engine test


So following on from my first YouTube video showing the main instrument panel all lit up I thought that now the engine LEDs were all soldered up and the engines glued up I had better test the LED’s were still working!

As you can see they’re all running fine, the one on the bottom right is sitting a little further back in the engine that the others but I don’t think that it is worth trying to pull apart the engines now the glue is set to adjust, other than that there is still some light bleed where either I didn’t get an even coat of the metallics inside the engines or I have thinned the wall too much. What ever the cause I am hoping a couple coats of my new AK Primer with Microfillers will solve the issue.

Advertisements

Instrument Panel Test


Ok so here we have two firsts for me, my first instrument panel lit up using fibre optics and a 3 LED circuit being shown here on my first ever video uploaded to YouTube

Routing wire and fibre optics


With the cockpit all painted up It was time to route the cables and fibre optics. I know the pilots helmets not right and it will be fixed but anyway here’s a couple of pics of where I’m at. Now I’m off to get some LEDs wired up and get some tests run.

Preventing light bleed


So I tested an LED in situ and there was significant amounts of light bleeding through the bare plastic so I have painted the insides of the engines with a couple of coats of metallic paint to try and reduce this effect, I still have some spots that I am concerned about due to the wall thickness but I am hoping using a primer on the outside that contains micro fillers should sort that out… fingers crossed!

A bright idea…


So there’s not much room in this in little kit for putting lights in so here are the main parts that are going to need butchered.. err I mean modified to make room, as you can see I have already made a start by removing the front locating pin in the engine nacelle, I think I am going to have to thin the walls a little too in order for a 3mm LED to fit.

A Tiny X-Wing


Ok so I am kind of determined to get a model kit lit up with some LED’s but I don’t really want to build any of my larger scale stuff at the moment so off the back of the relatively quick building TIE Fighter I thought I might try my hand at Revell’s 1:112 (what kind of scale is that?) X-Wing Fighter and I am going to try chucking a few LED’s and some Fibre Optics at this one to see what great disaster I can conjure up with a soldering iron and model kit!

Its’s a cheap kit, very simple to build but if I can pull the idea in my head off it should look reasonably good I think. Anyway I forgot to take a sprue and box shot before I starting cutting parts off the sprues so heres a much prettier picture of the box than I would have ever managed.

TIE Completed


Well that’s the TIE complete. For all its simplicity it’s a nice looking kit once its built up, gave it a light weathering with some dark grey pigment but nothing too strong. I am actually quite pleased with the way it looks, might even get my proper camera out and take some better photos at some point, but in the mean time here’s the ones taken with my phone!

The Glazing 


Not much to say really, it’s an iconic TIE Fighter window, painted the wrong colour according to the instructions colour call out. It should be a darker grey than the hull apparently but I didn’t notice this fact until after I had removed the masking, and considering the amount of time it took me to mask the window up … it’s staying the wrong colour. Can you just sense the rage from the StarWars community, the horror!

 

Cockpit constructed


Well here’s the completed cockpit for the TIE. There really isn’t much to it, I tried to pick out some of the details in red and black as they are the presiding colours I remember from the films, or at least they’re the colours I associate with the inside of the TIE in my mind; regardless it has busied the office up a bit but I am unsure as to how much of this is actualy going to be visible anyway once its all buttoned up.