You Spin Me Right Round!


Propeller assembly is now complete and painted up. I have done a little work on the main seam on the fuselage so its almost done. I have also now put the main parts of the wings together and again the fit it pretty good, very little work is going to be needed on the seams once the glue has dried.

Advertisements

1/72 Airfix Spitfire PRXIX with Resin Camera


A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX. 
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build. 

I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build! 

Hurricane MKI complete!


Here are some photographs of the completed MKI Hurricane by Airfix in 1/72nd Scale. First of all I need to thank Mitch from Britmodeller for sending me a spare canopy after mine met with disaster through my own stupidity.

I think the brown colour is incorrect but I kind of like how it looked when it had dried so I left it instead of painting over. Painted using a mix of Tamiya and Revell Acrylics and Varnished with Windsor and Newton Matt on the top side of the aircraft. I hope you like it and if you have any suggestions for improvements they’ll be greatfully received.

Gnat Complete!


The 2nd Gnat is finally completed. I added the last of the details tonight so I thought I would post up a few snaps of the finished article on her own and along side her sister aircraft. If you have any comments/critique/suggestions for improvement then please do make them!

The Gnat Is Not Forgotten!


Ok so heres a quick shot of the Gnat, I haven’t forgotten about it, i had just been plodding along in the background with it whilst making the Hurricane the focus of my attention. I’ve just applied a coat of Klear and am going to give her a 2nd before applying the decals. In the mean time I have started my next project!

The peel to reveal!


So here it is masking peeled. Im pretty happy with the result as it looks a closer to an accurate Type-A Scheme than I would have achieved without using the pre cut mask.

Now I’m sitting here thinking bugger, I still have masking to do as I just realised I have done the white/black on the underside! Better get the tape out!

Greeeeeeeen!


So on goes the green part of the Type A camouflage pattern. For this I am using Tamiya Dark Green XF-61. I have to say of the 3 brands of Acrylics I have used since getting the airbrush the Tamiya is by far my favourite.

Hurricane gets masked off!


Another update but this time for the 1/72 Hurricane Mk1 thats on the bench. I had bought a camouflage masking set for this model as I had never used one before and wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

I must admit that whilst the pre cut  mask isn’t perfect and some parts of it were over sized by a bit and needed some adjusting,  but generally speaking they’re great, so much quicker and easier to mask up the model in question without having to sit rolling blue-tac or trying to cut masking tape etc.

Gnat ready for masking


Ok so it has been a while since I have posted any updates, its been hard to get time to do much at the bench over the last week or so and when I have been at the bench its seems I have spent an inordinate amount of time sorting out what should be minor issues. Anyway I finally got the Light Aircraft Grey on the Gnat, I am using enamels on this one rather than acrylics and this in itself has not been without issue but its done now and she is finally ready to be masked off for the Dayglo work to be done!

More progress on the 2nd Gnat


So I have continued working on the 2nd 1/72 Gnat whilst waiting for the paint masks to arrive for the Hurricane. Cockpit all built up and detail picked out on the sidewalls, just waiting on the paint drying on the undercarriage.