Ok so heres a quick shot of the Gnat, I haven’t forgotten about it, i had just been plodding along in the background with it whilst making the Hurricane the focus of my attention. I’ve just applied a coat of Klear and am going to give her a 2nd before applying the decals. In the mean time I have started my next project!
Ok so it has been a while since I have posted any updates, its been hard to get time to do much at the bench over the last week or so and when I have been at the bench its seems I have spent an inordinate amount of time sorting out what should be minor issues. Anyway I finally got the Light Aircraft Grey on the Gnat, I am using enamels on this one rather than acrylics and this in itself has not been without issue but its done now and she is finally ready to be masked off for the Dayglo work to be done!
So I have continued working on the 2nd 1/72 Gnat whilst waiting for the paint masks to arrive for the Hurricane. Cockpit all built up and detail picked out on the sidewalls, just waiting on the paint drying on the undercarriage.
Ok so whilst I am waiting for my paints to arrive for the Hurricane MkI I have decided to make a start on the 2nd of my 1/72 Gnats. On this build I will be using Wolfpacks amazing little Resin 4GT/1 Ejector seats, a Pavla Vacform canopy (as I cracked the in box one trying to cut it so I could position open). I will also be using a combination of the in box decals and I will be making up new serials for this one so as they don’t clash with the one thats already completed.
I did consider getting a full resin cockpit from Pavla but to be honest the instrumentation is that small the stock parts suffice fine. This aircframe is going to be wearing the Light Aircraft Grey / DayGlo Orange combination as opposed to the first kits High Speed Silver / DayGlo scheme.
So as you can see from the photo I have spent this evening painting up and assembling the seats. Now I just need to sand off the resin bases!
So the Gnat is essentially finished. Thats the last of the decals on. I still haven’t decided what to do about weathering on this one as of yet, or even if I am going to weather it at all, I will be dropping her a couple of coats of Klear over the next couple of days just to protect the decals so plenty of time to decide. In the mean time though thats another build done and I get to move my focus on to the MK1 Hurricane!
So the Decals are going on the first Gnat at the moment, to be honest considering how small this kit is even for a 1/72 I can believe the number of tiny decals included. Top work Airfix. Almost done though!
So I finally took the masking off the paint job on the first Gnat last night, and this wasn’t without incident. I had masked the straight lines with Tamiya tape, and had used maskol for the first time on the more intricate parts, what I didn’t expect that the maskol not only come away from the body of the kit but also the paint that had oversprayed on to it meaning I had to actually trim off the overspray with a scalpel.
This has meant that some of the finer details I was trying to mask using the Maskol haven’t come out the way I had hoped so a little touching up will be required tonight prior to masking and painting the matt black on the nose!
So I started work on the 1/72 Gnat T1 fom Airfix today. Cockpits painting and sub assembly is now complete and the intakes are now on there appropriate halves of the fuselage with minimal fuss. I have to say although the cockpit is a bit over simplified the other detailing on this kit considering its size have impressed me.
Ok so I had a look at my stack of kits and have decided to go simple with my next build. I am dropping down on scale to 1/72 and have picked out Airfix’s Folland Gnat T.1 Kit.
This kit is one of Airfix’s new tooling kits and on opening the box the I have to say the detailing does look great. Recessed panel lines look good, cockpit parts look pretty detailed compared to the Airfix kits of old.
I will be building this kit out of box with no aftermarket parts, although even with a kit as small as this in 1/72 there is a resin pit upgrade kit available made by Pavla. Truth be told I did consider ordering it but I decided I would build this as standard stock and then if I liked the result I would pick up another kit and the resin upgrade and build another but with a different scheme.
For this build I will be painting/detailing her in the scheme on the box art, Central Flying School, RAF Little Rissington, 1964.