That’s the tail and tailplanes fitted and the jet exhaust primed and ready for a coat of the lovely Vallejo jet exhaust funnily enough, my do some highlighting on the “petals” with some of the Mig Xtreme Metal colours, not sure yet as they’re quite small!
In the mean time though I best get this Flogger a front end so time to assemble the cockpit area and get that nose cone off the sprue and dry fitted!
As expected the main part of the fuselage has gone together will minimal fuss, the seam line should be nice and easy to blend too looking at it. Time to get a few more parts off the sprues and ready to fit.
Well my Spitfires decals were settling so I was stuck for something to do so I decided I would make a start on one of the builds I would like to do for the From Russia with Love GB over on the Britmodeller forums.
This ones just going to be a quick out the box effort on Academys 1/72 MiG-27. I know the kits got its issues, I beleive the nose is wrong for a D and the cockpit detail is almost none existant but I’m just looking for a quick build again at the moment and not get bogged down with corrections and detailing etc on this whilst I’m waiting on parts for a couple of other builds I want to get done for this and another gb so onwards.
Heres some more images from my build of the Revell 1:52 Rebel Snowspeeder kit. It’s a pretty basic kit so progress is quick however it is a nice kit to work with. a little preshading around the panel lines, and plenty of chipping which was the reason I was building this, in order to practice my weathering and chipping.
As you can see the decals for the orange markings have been chucked and I have airbrushed it all, there is steel underneath the main base grey in the areas I wanted to depict as battle damaged or worn. I have also chipped the various other colours to depict wear and tear. I have also weathered the radiator etc at the rear using various rust powders and washes from Ammo.
Hi everyone, well I have to admit working to get my F-5A finished just lately has really got my modeler mojo back and fresh from taking part in my first ever Group Build I have signed up for another on Britmodeller.
I really enjoyed being able to see everyones builds unfold and how each person handled various issues that arose during the course of their builds. It was also great to be able to talk to people who were fantastically knowledgeable on both the hobby and the subject matter in hand.
For my first foray in to the world of rotory winged aircraft I have decided to build this AZ Models 1/72 TH-1G Training Cobra kit that I picked up for much cheapness from Hannants the other day. I had a quick look at the sprues etc and it seems a nice kit. The instructions seem a little confusing at first glance but compared to the Tiger Hobbies instructions that come with the F-5A I have just completed they are positively encyclopeadic.
The kit comes with two main sprues of buff coloured plastic, parts seem nicely moulded and are free from flash. Theres a small resin part which replaces the gun assembley for the trainer variants and a small fret of Photo Etched parts, which will be another first for me, as I have never worked with PE before.
Everythings sitting in my spray booth at the moment just waiting for me to make a start!
Just a quick update on the F-5A Tiger Hobbies kit I am working on at the moment. As you will see from the top image I had a small problem when removing the wings from the Sprue Gates.
One of the wings was fine and only had 3 or 4 gates holding it in place, however the other wing had 7 or 8 gates holding it in place and unfortunately as I was trimming them the ones on the trailing edge of the wing snapped off of their own volition and chomped the wing a little.
Thanks to a little minor surgery and some of that Deluxe Plastic Putty stuff I have got it looking half decent again. Not much left now before paint, Yay!
Well I got some more time at the bench and ask you can see from the photos I have managed to decipher enough of the fag packet instructions that come with this model to get the cockpit together and the in place and assemble the main two halves of the fuselage.
I love getting this stage done on any build as next is attaching the wings etc and this is when a build really starts to take shape!
So I know I have been away for a while, but this should be me back at the bench now! I have my first ever group build I committed too a few months ago now due to start this weekend on the Britmodeller forum and it’s a Single Type Group Build of my favourite airframe the Northrop F-5!
This is going to be the first of a couple of builds I intend to do for the STGB and for it I am using the Tiger Hobbies 1/48 F-5A kit, it’s not a fantastically accurate kit to be honest, but it builds into something thats kind of F-5 shaped and considering its price point I can forgive the inaccuracy.
I am going to be building this straight out of box and into the Philipene Blue Diamond Acroteam scheme shown at the top of one of the photos above. I have been looking forward to being a part of my first Group Build so I will be throwing myself into it with great eagerness!
So heres a quick snap of the 2nd Gnat as its getting the decals applied, a little annoyed as I bought white roundels to sit under the RAF roundels on top of the wing as the first Gnats Dayglo bled through the white, however is seems the white roundels are either 0.5mm to big or more likely the Airfix roundels are 0.5mm too small so I have a small white ring round the outside of the roundels now. Aircraft serial numbers have been altered, top decals almost complete, just got to flip it over and do the underside!