Here are some photographs of the completed MKI Hurricane by Airfix in 1/72nd Scale. First of all I need to thank Mitch from Britmodeller for sending me a spare canopy after mine met with disaster through my own stupidity.
I think the brown colour is incorrect but I kind of like how it looked when it had dried so I left it instead of painting over. Painted using a mix of Tamiya and Revell Acrylics and Varnished with Windsor and Newton Matt on the top side of the aircraft. I hope you like it and if you have any suggestions for improvements they’ll be greatfully received.
So the Hurricane is almost complete, I have finished the decals, drilled the antenna post and rigged its with some 2.2lb fishing line! Unfortunately I have broken the main part of the canopy and Airfix told me they were unable to supply a spare. Luckily however someone has offered to send me a spare they have which I can’t express how grateful I am for! In the mean time I am dropping a couple of coats of Klear on before a light panel wash and some other weathering!
So on goes the green part of the Type A camouflage pattern. For this I am using Tamiya Dark Green XF-61. I have to say of the 3 brands of Acrylics I have used since getting the airbrush the Tamiya is by far my favourite.
Another update but this time for the 1/72 Hurricane Mk1 thats on the bench. I had bought a camouflage masking set for this model as I had never used one before and wanted to see what all the fuss is about.
I must admit that whilst the pre cut mask isn’t perfect and some parts of it were over sized by a bit and needed some adjusting, but generally speaking they’re great, so much quicker and easier to mask up the model in question without having to sit rolling blue-tac or trying to cut masking tape etc.
So there’s been a little progress on the the Hurricane, theres a few fit issues I didn’t expect considering its a new tool. The lower half of the wing is a fair bit bigger than the top and on the trailing edge you get left with quite a gap for some reason. Also a little strange is the fact they have made the kit so as you have to fit one of the clear parts (tinted clear amber here on my build) so early, and prior to any paint being done! Granted it’s no great shakes to mask it well but it wouldn’t have been difficult to alter the way the clear part fits to make it so as the part could be fitted after the paint has been done.