Whilst I am waiting on another coat of Mr Surfacer curing on the MiG-27 I thought I would crack on with the cockpit on the Vampire build. I am not expecting too many issues here as the kit is MPM plastic and the etch is MPM too, so here we are making a start.
I knew the intakes were going to be an issue with this kit when I purchased it and right enough they’re an issue! I was going to remedy the issue with Styrene sheet as usual however I had thought about attempting a fix like this previously using several coats of Mr Surfacer but didn’t have the time to see it through, so this time I thought I would take the time to give it a go and see how it turns out, so on goes the first coat!
Well the progress on the MiG-27 is slowing down a little as there’s a lot of waiting around at the moment waiting for things to cure etc and I had just received an Aztec decal sheet for Vampires in Latin American colours so I thought I would make a start on a build of Revells boxing of the MPM Vampire F.Mk3 in 1/72nd and happily there’s still time to build as and entry for the Made in Britain Group build on Britmodeller so here we go!
Well I have put the cockpit and nose together and attached to the fuselage, it’s starting to look a bit like a Flogger! I think I am actually going to get some primer on her just now so I can check seam lines before I put the intakes togther plus I will need to move the wings and prime the bare bits once the first coat of primer is dry.
That’s the tail and tailplanes fitted and the jet exhaust primed and ready for a coat of the lovely Vallejo jet exhaust funnily enough, my do some highlighting on the “petals” with some of the Mig Xtreme Metal colours, not sure yet as they’re quite small!
In the mean time though I best get this Flogger a front end so time to assemble the cockpit area and get that nose cone off the sprue and dry fitted!
Well I managed to get a start on this as I said so I built what little there is to the cockpit up and started dry fitting the wings / fuselage. The two halves of the main fuselage actually look pretty close to one another so there shouldn’t be much fettling required to get a nice join without much of a seam line to worry about which is always good!
Propeller assembly is now complete and painted up. I have done a little work on the main seam on the fuselage so its almost done. I have also now put the main parts of the wings together and again the fit it pretty good, very little work is going to be needed on the seams once the glue has dried.