The 2nd Gnat is finally completed. I added the last of the details tonight so I thought I would post up a few snaps of the finished article on her own and along side her sister aircraft. If you have any comments/critique/suggestions for improvement then please do make them!
So heres a quick snap of the 2nd Gnat as its getting the decals applied, a little annoyed as I bought white roundels to sit under the RAF roundels on top of the wing as the first Gnats Dayglo bled through the white, however is seems the white roundels are either 0.5mm to big or more likely the Airfix roundels are 0.5mm too small so I have a small white ring round the outside of the roundels now. Aircraft serial numbers have been altered, top decals almost complete, just got to flip it over and do the underside!
Ok so heres a quick shot of the Gnat, I haven’t forgotten about it, i had just been plodding along in the background with it whilst making the Hurricane the focus of my attention. I’ve just applied a coat of Klear and am going to give her a 2nd before applying the decals. In the mean time I have started my next project!
Ok so it has been a while since I have posted any updates, its been hard to get time to do much at the bench over the last week or so and when I have been at the bench its seems I have spent an inordinate amount of time sorting out what should be minor issues. Anyway I finally got the Light Aircraft Grey on the Gnat, I am using enamels on this one rather than acrylics and this in itself has not been without issue but its done now and she is finally ready to be masked off for the Dayglo work to be done!
So I have continued working on the 2nd 1/72 Gnat whilst waiting for the paint masks to arrive for the Hurricane. Cockpit all built up and detail picked out on the sidewalls, just waiting on the paint drying on the undercarriage.
Ok so whilst I am waiting for my paints to arrive for the Hurricane MkI I have decided to make a start on the 2nd of my 1/72 Gnats. On this build I will be using Wolfpacks amazing little Resin 4GT/1 Ejector seats, a Pavla Vacform canopy (as I cracked the in box one trying to cut it so I could position open). I will also be using a combination of the in box decals and I will be making up new serials for this one so as they don’t clash with the one thats already completed.
I did consider getting a full resin cockpit from Pavla but to be honest the instrumentation is that small the stock parts suffice fine. This aircframe is going to be wearing the Light Aircraft Grey / DayGlo Orange combination as opposed to the first kits High Speed Silver / DayGlo scheme.
So as you can see from the photo I have spent this evening painting up and assembling the seats. Now I just need to sand off the resin bases!