Decals done!


So the Gnat is essentially finished. Thats the last of the decals on. I still haven’t decided what to do about weathering on this one as of yet, or even if I am going to weather it at all, I will be dropping her a couple of coats of Klear over the next couple of days just to protect the decals so plenty of time to decide. In the mean time though thats another build done and I get to move my focus on to the MK1 Hurricane!

Advertisements

Decals decals everywhere!


So the Decals are going on the first Gnat at the moment, to be honest considering how small this kit is even for a 1/72 I can believe the number of tiny decals included. Top work Airfix. Almost done though!

Work continues on the Gnat


So I’m entering the home straight on the first of the two Gnats and i’ve noticed theres an error on the Airfix painting guide on the box, there should be a silver area on the rear fuselage in amongst the dayglo and another on the underside of each wing for the aircrafts serials. So I am going to have to try and work out the appropriate size for each and mask off the dayglo to apply silver to the areas in question! Other than that the canopy has turned out ok and the anti glare black is looking great.

Gnat Unmasked!


So I finally took the masking off the paint job on the first Gnat last night, and this wasn’t without incident. I had masked the straight lines with Tamiya tape, and had used maskol for the first time on the more intricate parts, what I didn’t expect that the maskol not only come away from the body of the kit but also the paint that had oversprayed on to it meaning I had to actually trim off the overspray with a scalpel.

This has meant that some of the finer details I was trying to mask using the Maskol haven’t come out the way I had hoped so a little touching up will be required tonight prior to masking and painting the matt black on the nose!

Tiny troubles!


So progress on the 1/72 Airfix Gnat T.1 is moving along at a nice pace. I have had a couple of small fit issues, where the wing panel joins the rear fuselage left a large panel gap. Material is too thin on one of the wings trailing edge but shouldnt be an issue, also on the underside the panel where the undercarriage would retract behind again theres a large panel gap. Also where the wing root joins the fuselage on the leading edge didnt look right so the filler came out and most have been sorted but truth be told I’ve probably not spent as much time as I should have fixing these.

I am going to be picking up another of these kits though and the next one I will be spending much more time on. The reason I am going to be getting another of these kits is because I cant decide which colour scheme would look better on a model of this scale. Within the Dayglo schemes there are a couple of options with the most common being the High Speed Silver / Dayglo combo thats on the box art, or there was also the Light Aircraft Grey / Dayglo scheme that although not listed in the kit I am sure would look pretty good too.

Anyway as you can see the first coat of primer is on, I will sand this back tomorrow before applying another tomorrow and then wait until Tuesday before starting the actual colour scheme!

The Build Begins!


So I started work on the 1/72 Gnat T1 fom Airfix today. Cockpits painting and sub assembly is now complete and the intakes are now on there appropriate halves of the fuselage with minimal fuss. I have to say although the cockpit is a bit over simplified the other detailing on this kit considering its size have impressed me.

Next Up On The Bench! 1/72 Folland Gnat by Airfix


Ok so I had a look at my stack of kits and have decided to go simple with my next build. I am dropping down on scale to 1/72 and have picked out Airfix’s Folland Gnat T.1 Kit.

This kit is one of Airfix’s new tooling kits and on opening the box the I have to say the detailing does look great. Recessed panel lines look good, cockpit parts look pretty detailed compared to the Airfix kits of old.

I will be building this kit out of box with no aftermarket parts, although even with a kit as small as this in 1/72 there is a resin pit upgrade kit available made by Pavla. Truth be told I did consider ordering it but I decided I would build this as standard stock and then if I liked the result I would pick up another kit and the resin upgrade and build another but with a different scheme.

For this build I will be painting/detailing her in the scheme on the box art, Central Flying School, RAF Little Rissington, 1964.