Hurricane MKI complete!


Here are some photographs of the completed MKI Hurricane by Airfix in 1/72nd Scale. First of all I need to thank Mitch from Britmodeller for sending me a spare canopy after mine met with disaster through my own stupidity.

I think the brown colour is incorrect but I kind of like how it looked when it had dried so I left it instead of painting over. Painted using a mix of Tamiya and Revell Acrylics and Varnished with Windsor and Newton Matt on the top side of the aircraft. I hope you like it and if you have any suggestions for improvements they’ll be greatfully received.

Almost there!


So the Hurricane is almost complete, I have finished the decals, drilled the antenna post and rigged its with some 2.2lb fishing line! Unfortunately I have broken the main part of the canopy and Airfix told me they were unable to supply a spare. Luckily however someone has offered to send me a spare they have which I can’t express how grateful I am for! In the mean time I am dropping a couple of coats of Klear on before a light panel wash and some other weathering!

The peel to reveal!


So here it is masking peeled. Im pretty happy with the result as it looks a closer to an accurate Type-A Scheme than I would have achieved without using the pre cut mask.

Now I’m sitting here thinking bugger, I still have masking to do as I just realised I have done the white/black on the underside! Better get the tape out!

Greeeeeeeen!


So on goes the green part of the Type A camouflage pattern. For this I am using Tamiya Dark Green XF-61. I have to say of the 3 brands of Acrylics I have used since getting the airbrush the Tamiya is by far my favourite.

Hurricane gets masked off!


Another update but this time for the 1/72 Hurricane Mk1 thats on the bench. I had bought a camouflage masking set for this model as I had never used one before and wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

I must admit that whilst the pre cut  mask isn’t perfect and some parts of it were over sized by a bit and needed some adjusting,  but generally speaking they’re great, so much quicker and easier to mask up the model in question without having to sit rolling blue-tac or trying to cut masking tape etc.

Small Progess on Hurricane MK1


So heres where I am up to with the Hurricane build. I haven’t really had a lot of time to work on this the last few days but hopefully I can get it masked up and ready for paint over the weekend.

The fit between the fuselage and wings isn’t the greatest. I could have spent more time fettling the parts to a better fit than I have done but its nothing that can’t be hidden with some putty

A Little Progress!


So there’s been a little progress on the the Hurricane, theres a few fit issues I didn’t expect considering its a new tool. The lower half of the wing is a fair bit bigger than the top and on the trailing edge you get left with quite a gap for some reason. Also a little strange is the fact they have made the kit so as you have to fit one of the clear parts (tinted clear amber here on my build) so early, and prior to any paint being done! Granted it’s no great shakes to mask it well but it wouldn’t have been difficult to alter the way the clear part fits to make it so as the part could be fitted after the paint has been done.

Airfix Hawker Hurricane MK1


Next up on the bench is another of Airfix new tooling 1/72 offerings. This time its the Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane MK1. This is the fabric version of the Hurricane and although there are still a few inaccuracies compared to the actual airframe to annoy the Rivet counters out there, I personally think that looking at the parts on sprue that this is another superb little kit from Airfix, especially when you consider the old kits.

As you can see from the sprue shots its a 3 prop version of the Hurricane and theres a nice little decal sheet including a dashboard detail decal.

Looks a nice kit and hopefully shouldn’t be too many issues in the build, this is another I will be building OOB and won’t be adding any aftermarket parts to.