Jaguar Complete!

Well I am calling her done for now, theres a couple of touch ups I still need to do and I wanted to weather her a bit, but I don’t have the right weathering set for this colour pallete at the moment. I didn’t think I was ever going to get it finished at one point but I am glad I got the mojo back enough to face this one again as I am really pleased with the out come on this one, it looks much better than I ever thought it would.


Jaguar Stands Up

This is where the Jaguar is currently at the moment, she’s up on her own legs now and is only waiting for the last few bits and pieces to be added prior to final varnishing and the canopy being added

Jaguar Update

So I have been working on the Jaguar a fair bit just lately, after so many issues with the fit of this kit I had kind of consigned it to never be finished; but completing the Cobra build really got my mojo up and I have been quite happily plugging away with this now. So I scanned the images for the temporary snow camo they used for the Norway training ops in the mid 80s (although the representation on the art work is much tidier than the real air craft ever were) cut out the paper masks and stuck them on using my new found Maskol technique. This was repeated on the fuel tanks and a few coats of Tamiya Flat white were thrown at her through the airbrush.

Jaguar Camo Mask

As work had began again on the Jaguar it quickly became time to mask the camo scheme up ready for more paint.

I decided to try a technique new to me instead of the usual blu-tak worms or pre cut vinyl masks, this time I scanned the images of the gree/grey scheme from the instruction sheets decal and camo layout. I had to enlarge the image and print to the size of the model, this was done by working out the percentage increase between the instruction sheet image and the actual size of the model.

I then printed these and cut out the paper shapes for the flat surfaces, now I had to find a way of getting the paper masks to stick, I have seen others try this method using Pritt Sticks or PVA glues etc and they always seem to have issues with residues being left on the models or the masks not coming off after paint.

What I decided to do was paint the back of the paper masks with a nice coat of Humbrol Maskol and then stick them down on to the model so the maskol was between the base paint layer and the paper mask. I did this for the top, bottom and sides where I could use a flat mask, I then joined and masked the curved parts of the model just by painting on the Maskol by hand. A couple of hours to let the Maskol fully cure and then some XF-13 Green was the order of the day!


Ok as I mentioned in an earlier post I have picked up the Italeri Jaguar again in between working on the Cobra so I thought I would give a couple of quick shots of where I have got to with it. I lost a couple of antenna and once I had put the Dark Gull Grey down it became I had lost a few panel lines so I have given one or two a rescribe.

I will go back at her later with the Dark Gull Grey to cover the panel lines and then get busy with the masking for the green.

Jaguar Update

So just a quick update on the Jaguar, as you can see I have fitted the intakes and theres quite a big gap at the back of them. Time for the filler to come out!

Jaguar Progress

Ok so it seems as so often is the way I have ended up a little sidetracked with my other projects and the Jaguar is taking precedent! as you can see the nose  module, the cockpit module and the main part of the fuselage have all been assembled and put together. So far theres not been any real fit issues, however on dry fitting the intakes there seems to be a bit of a gap there thats going to need filling, but if thats as bad as it gets I will be happy!

Jaguar Pit Complete

So heres a couple poor pictures of the completed sub assembly for the Jaguar cockpit. Considering its out of the box its actually a pretty decent cockpit when compared to some other kits. I picked out all the details using a 000 gauge brush and Tamiya acrylics

Italeri 1/72 Jaguar GR1

So heres a quick look at the back of the box, which has on it some nice artwork of an alternative camouflage scheme for the Jaguar. It’s an early winter camo that was used during exercises in Norway I believe.

The actual aircraft represented in these images is not covered by the decal sheet, this is probably due to the fact this actual aircraft was involved in a fatal crash in the Scottish Borders so I am actually surprised they use the image at all.

This is the scheme I am planning to use on my Jaguar, it looks like I am going to have to paint the standard Grey/Green wrap around camouflage, then mask the required areas off and overspray flat white. The only thing I am not sure of is whether or not to decal the aircraft first then put the white on which is how the scheme is represented in these images.

The Next Project!

So here’s the next project landing on my bench. I am continuing on with the 1/72 scale and have picked up an Italeri Jaguar GR1. I have to say on opening the kit parts all look very nice, clear of flash and nicely detailed. Here’s hoping the fit is as good as the initial impressions!