Seat detailed


Heres the new and improved seat. I added a back cushion that was made from lead substitute that I usually melt down for nose weights, the seatbelts are PE from the spares box, the ejection pull handle is some styrene rod bent round. I have also put a back on the seat and made some seat rails from more styrene rod that will be used to attach the seat to the newly installed bulkhead, which was fettled from a piece of styrene/plasticard. It’s not fantastic but it should help busy things up I think!

So much for keeping it simple



So much for keeping things nice and simple. As I had almost finished the paint I removed the masking tape and blue tack covering the cockpit and it really struck me how poor the cockpit was looking (there isn’t even a control stick) and the seat especially was annoying me, it looked pretty bad and also seems to sit too far forward leaving quite a big gap between the back of the seat and where the none existant bulkhead should be. These photos are from earlier on in the build to illustrate how poor things are looking as standard.

 

MiG 27, Getting shady


Well I can wait no longer, time to get some paint down, this is proving to be a little more difficult than usual as my AS186 chinese compressor keeps overheating, I will strip it down again and see if I can’t get it somewhere near normal, if not I guess the letter to santa will be leaving early this year!

Intakes done


Progress slowed a little of late on this one but the intakes are looking OK to my eye, I put primer on to see what they looked like in paint and I don’t think they too bad at all considering the size of the step that was there. I left her belly up with the primer drying on the underside last night, which meant I spent a lot of time looking at those dodgy wheel wells. I may throw in some cabling or something to try and add a bit of interest, depends if I can find any reference images or not.

Intakes




I knew the intakes were going to be an issue with this kit when I purchased it and right enough they’re an issue! I was going to remedy the issue with Styrene sheet as usual however I had thought about attempting a fix like this previously using several coats of Mr Surfacer but didn’t have the time to see it through, so this time I thought I would take the time to give it a go and see how it turns out, so on goes the first coat!

Taking Shape


Well I have put the cockpit and nose together and attached to the fuselage, it’s starting to look a bit like a Flogger! I think I am actually going to get some primer on her just now so I can check seam lines before I put the intakes togther plus I will need to move the wings and prime the bare bits once the first coat of primer is dry.

Headless Flogger!


That’s the tail and tailplanes fitted and the jet exhaust primed and ready for a coat of the lovely Vallejo jet exhaust funnily enough, my do some highlighting on the “petals” with some of the Mig Xtreme Metal colours, not sure yet as they’re quite small!

In the mean time though I best get this Flogger a front end so time to assemble the cockpit area and get that nose cone off the sprue and dry fitted!

Construction Begins


Well I managed to get a start on this as I said so I built what little there is to the cockpit up and started dry fitting the wings / fuselage. The two halves of the main fuselage actually look pretty close to one another so there shouldn’t be much fettling required to get a nice join without much of a seam line to worry about which is always good!

Academy 1/72 MiG-27 Flogger D


Well my Spitfires decals were settling so I was stuck for something to do so I decided I would make a start on one of the builds I would like to do for the From Russia with Love GB over on the Britmodeller forums.

This ones just going to be a quick out the box effort on Academys 1/72 MiG-27. I know the kits got its issues, I beleive the nose is wrong for a D and the cockpit detail is almost none existant but I’m just looking for a quick build again at the moment and not get bogged down with corrections and detailing etc on this whilst I’m waiting on parts for a couple of other builds I want to get done for this and another gb so onwards.