So here’s the finished article, my 1/72 Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX finished as an S.31 from the Swedish Airforce. I hope you enjoy her as much as I have building her.
Propeller assembly is now complete and painted up. I have done a little work on the main seam on the fuselage so its almost done. I have also now put the main parts of the wings together and again the fit it pretty good, very little work is going to be needed on the seams once the glue has dried.
I noticed that the main instrument panel was just to be left black matt with no decal or details on it which didn’t really sit right with me so I got out the styrene sheet and made a main instrument panel, drilled some holes for dials and filled these with PVA glue for the lenses. I also made a camera control box from lamianted styrene sheet which fitted above the main IP.
As you can see I have also painted and fitted the camera, this was all glued in place and the fuselage was shut. The seam lines need a little fettling to blend in but nothing much at all.
It’s safe to say I am fair enjoying this kit, it’s fit its almost spot on, it’s exterior is nicely detailed and the kits nice and simple to construct. Just what the mojo ordered
So after fitting the camera window in to the fuselage it was time for a dry fit with the resin camera in place and as expected the fuselage wouldn’t close up. Out came the rotary tool with a diamond attachment for a little thinning of the fuselage walls, nothing major required about a single mm off each side was enough and the fuselage was dry fitting ok.
A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX.
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build.
I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build!