I haven’t forgotten about this kit, I finally have the hull seam somewhere near like respectable, well its close enough anyway. So here we have the main hull assembly and the prop ready and waiting for a coat of ever so boring Vallejo Black!
Another quick shot of the F-5A from Tiger Hobbies. Flat Black’s applied, and the pic shows her waiting for decals. I actually made a start on them last night and they’re pretty good. The wing walkway outline broke up a bit but the stencils have all been easy to work with, they’re maybe using carrier film thats a touch thick for my liking but in general they’re pretty good. So much so I might actually keep the Turkish option to use on another F-5 I have planned.
Just a quick update on the F-5A Tiger Hobbies kit I am working on at the moment. As you will see from the top image I had a small problem when removing the wings from the Sprue Gates.
One of the wings was fine and only had 3 or 4 gates holding it in place, however the other wing had 7 or 8 gates holding it in place and unfortunately as I was trimming them the ones on the trailing edge of the wing snapped off of their own volition and chomped the wing a little.
Thanks to a little minor surgery and some of that Deluxe Plastic Putty stuff I have got it looking half decent again. Not much left now before paint, Yay!
Well I got some more time at the bench and ask you can see from the photos I have managed to decipher enough of the fag packet instructions that come with this model to get the cockpit together and the in place and assemble the main two halves of the fuselage.
I love getting this stage done on any build as next is attaching the wings etc and this is when a build really starts to take shape!
So just a quick update on the Jaguar, as you can see I have fitted the intakes and theres quite a big gap at the back of them. Time for the filler to come out!
Ok so it seems as so often is the way I have ended up a little sidetracked with my other projects and the Jaguar is taking precedent! as you can see the nose module, the cockpit module and the main part of the fuselage have all been assembled and put together. So far theres not been any real fit issues, however on dry fitting the intakes there seems to be a bit of a gap there thats going to need filling, but if thats as bad as it gets I will be happy!
So the Hurricane is almost complete, I have finished the decals, drilled the antenna post and rigged its with some 2.2lb fishing line! Unfortunately I have broken the main part of the canopy and Airfix told me they were unable to supply a spare. Luckily however someone has offered to send me a spare they have which I can’t express how grateful I am for! In the mean time I am dropping a couple of coats of Klear on before a light panel wash and some other weathering!
Ok so I had a look at my stack of kits and have decided to go simple with my next build. I am dropping down on scale to 1/72 and have picked out Airfix’s Folland Gnat T.1 Kit.
This kit is one of Airfix’s new tooling kits and on opening the box the I have to say the detailing does look great. Recessed panel lines look good, cockpit parts look pretty detailed compared to the Airfix kits of old.
I will be building this kit out of box with no aftermarket parts, although even with a kit as small as this in 1/72 there is a resin pit upgrade kit available made by Pavla. Truth be told I did consider ordering it but I decided I would build this as standard stock and then if I liked the result I would pick up another kit and the resin upgrade and build another but with a different scheme.
For this build I will be painting/detailing her in the scheme on the box art, Central Flying School, RAF Little Rissington, 1964.