Another update on the UH-1D, I think I am still running to schedule for getting her completed for tomorrows group build deadline. I got most of the paint done last night, the doors could do with another coat and theres a few touch ups needed in places, she should be good enough for decals this afternoon, then I can get the final touch ups a details painted tonight (maybe sand off that light above the engine nacelle and replace with a clear sprue sections or something too) and the get her glass fitted and finally rotors on along with the final varnish tomorrow.
I may or may not have realized that my UH-1D build is due for completion this Sunday in order to meet the group build deadline I am building it for! So here’s an update as to where it stands.
As you can see I corrected the vents from Horizontal to vertical slats and added photo etch mesh for the ones at the rear. I have now got the fuselage all buttoned up, primed and pre-shaded. I have also took the tail planes off and attached them to the correct sides beings as how they’re on the wrong way round in the photos 😉
Next up masking the 3 colour camo and getting some paint on so I can get the decals on her Saturday afternoon!
I have finally began the second build for the helicopter group build over on the Britmodeller forum, the Revell 1/72 Huey UH-1D SAR. First up is the cabin, this came together really easily and looks quite nice now its done.
Next up I plan on tackling the vents on the engine housing as these are all wrong for a German machine.
Well I am calling her done for now, theres a couple of touch ups I still need to do and I wanted to weather her a bit, but I don’t have the right weathering set for this colour pallete at the moment. I didn’t think I was ever going to get it finished at one point but I am glad I got the mojo back enough to face this one again as I am really pleased with the out come on this one, it looks much better than I ever thought it would.
Ok as I mentioned in an earlier post I have picked up the Italeri Jaguar again in between working on the Cobra so I thought I would give a couple of quick shots of where I have got to with it. I lost a couple of antenna and once I had put the Dark Gull Grey down it became I had lost a few panel lines so I have given one or two a rescribe.
I will go back at her later with the Dark Gull Grey to cover the panel lines and then get busy with the masking for the green.
Well I have been able to get a little further with the Cobra tonight, this Tamiya International Orange is airbrushing on quite thinly so several coats have been the order of the day, just waiting for it to dry so I can mask it off and get the green down!
I got some time at the bench so I thought I would get some of the Cobra
done, I started by painting up the instrument panels.
Then once I had painted up the seats I added the photo etch seatbelts,
is the first time I have ever used any etch, but as it came in the kit
it would have been rude not to!
I couldn’t quite work out how the rear instrument panel sub assembly
fitted into the cockpit tub, it was only after much swearing I realised
the seperate instruction sheet with the “recommendations and
improvements” for the kit said not to install it until after the
fuselage halves were together despite saying to add to the tub sub
assembly at the same time as everything else on the main instruction
sheet. This additional sheet definately had it right though, as soon as
I dry fit the halves I could see how easy it was going to be, so I
added the photo etch parts to the fuselage and joined the halves
Hi everyone, well I have to admit working to get my F-5A finished just lately has really got my modeler mojo back and fresh from taking part in my first ever Group Build I have signed up for another on Britmodeller.
I really enjoyed being able to see everyones builds unfold and how each person handled various issues that arose during the course of their builds. It was also great to be able to talk to people who were fantastically knowledgeable on both the hobby and the subject matter in hand.
For my first foray in to the world of rotory winged aircraft I have decided to build this AZ Models 1/72 TH-1G Training Cobra kit that I picked up for much cheapness from Hannants the other day. I had a quick look at the sprues etc and it seems a nice kit. The instructions seem a little confusing at first glance but compared to the Tiger Hobbies instructions that come with the F-5A I have just completed they are positively encyclopeadic.
The kit comes with two main sprues of buff coloured plastic, parts seem nicely moulded and are free from flash. Theres a small resin part which replaces the gun assembley for the trainer variants and a small fret of Photo Etched parts, which will be another first for me, as I have never worked with PE before.
Everythings sitting in my spray booth at the moment just waiting for me to make a start!
Well I am calling it done, there’s one or two things I would like
to have changed, for example I kind of wish I had modeled her in flight,
I have decided against weathering it as granted there’s not a vast
amount of images of them in this scheme but those that are seem to show
some pretty pristinely kept airframes, although should could probably
benefit from a very light panel wash in the future I dont have the right
colours so no point putting a dark one on for the sake of it as it
probably wouldnt look right.
All in all for a low budget kit that has risen from the ashes of the
failed Tan models project I think that its a great little kit, sure it
has its inaccuracies but so do a lot of kits that cost a hell of a lot
more than this ones £10 price tag and it really is a fun little kit to
build, the decal sheet is extensive and is great to work with, plenty of
options to build but the instructions probably could do with improving
to say the least