Still the Tie Solar Panels


Well I am still working on the solar panels for the TIE, not surprising though as they’re the biggest part of the kit! Here are the first sides of the TIE’s solar panels now the framework has been painted and the masking removed, they’re still not how I hoped but at least the fine moulded details aren’t lost in the flatness of the paint anymore! They look all the better for having the grey framework around them to be honest, surprising how much of a difference this has made to the way they look.

Build Complete!


She’s done, there was a few last minute problems, for example one of the inner pylons was sitting at a strange angle so I had to take the stub wing apart and sand the part to modify the angle in order to prevent the back part of the XM-159 sitting against the skid. There were the other usual touch ups and hassles you get when trying to finish a build but all in all I am really happy with this one, the last two builds, the Huey SAR and this Huey Cobra have been some of my best finished builds to look at. I am finally getting to the stage where I don’t look at the end result and want to chuck it in the bin. I hope you enjoy looking at her as much as I do.

The Devils in the Decals


Well we’re on the home stretch! The decals are going on brilliantly thanks to many coats of Klear allowing a few days for them to cure and then soaking the decals off their sheets using good old Humbrol Decalfix. You have to be really careful when using this stuff around Tamiya Acrylic paints but as long as you take care, using sparingly on the model itself and don’t move the decal about too much once on the surface of the model its works great…. lol

Almost time to load her out with some weaponry, for this build I have chosen to build this in heavy hog configuration. One of the only images I could find of this particular airframe show her as being one of those lucky enough to go out equipped with 4 XM-159 19 shot rocket launchers. I have a couple in the spares box from the TH-1 kit I built so that is how I am building her!

Lets lay some paint!


Well I have been building up the layers on the Olive drab, here is a quick shot of her in between coats at the moment, I think I have one or two more to go till I have the desired shade and difference with my pre-shade. A little more detail work to be done on the rotors too, here the additional spars being added that are missing from the kit, I also have a couple of pieces of etch to put on.

Constuction Complete!.. ok almost complete


Here we find a rare upside down Cobra, well the main part of the construction is now complete, the skids, stabilizers, stub wings, turret body and most of the etch are now together. I am being super careful with the skids on this one considering how many times I broke the ones of the TH-1 I built. Almost time for paint!

Is there anything more frustrating than working with etch?


Ok so I am continuing to detail the model with the etch set and I thought I would show you the size of some of these parts. Now I have never really done much with etch before, in fact this is my first build using a full aftermarket etch fret so maybe I will get better with experience, but seriously look at the size of some of these parts and I have to attach them end on to the model without getting CA adhesive everywhere! Thank god Eduard provide a lot of spares for these small parts as there’s currently more in my carpet than glued to this model!

UH-1D Update!


I may or may not have realized that my UH-1D build is due for completion this Sunday in order to meet the group build deadline I am building it for! So here’s an update as to where it stands.

As you can see I corrected the vents from Horizontal to vertical slats and added photo etch mesh for the ones at the rear. I have now got the fuselage all buttoned up, primed and pre-shaded. I have also took the tail planes off and attached them to the correct sides beings as how they’re on the wrong way round in the photos 😉

Next up masking the 3 colour camo and getting some paint on so I can get the decals on her Saturday afternoon!

 

Rebel Snowspeeder Complete!


Well it’s finally complete, here’s my finished build of the Revell 1:52 Rebel Snow Speeder kit. I think I only used 3 of the decals that came in the kit in the end, everything else was painted. Painted with Tamiya and Revell Acrylics, chipping with maskol and weathered with Ammo and Humbrol pigments and a home made wash. I am quite pleased with it considering it’s small size and the fact it was my first ever sci-fi build! I hope you like her too!

Snowspeeder Weathering


The Snows Speeder is pretty much done as you can see in the images attached. The battle damage and weathering is being taken care of courtesy of some Maskol chipping as we have seen previous and Humbrol and Ammo pigments! Last few bits to complete!