This build is booming


Quick update on the Vampire, wingtips and intakes have been attached to the main part of the construction and I have put together the tail boom sub assembly, now to fit them together!

Advertisements

Vampire Etch


Whilst I am waiting on another coat of Mr Surfacer curing on the MiG-27 I thought I would crack on with the cockpit on the Vampire build. I am not expecting too many issues here as the kit is MPM plastic and the etch is MPM too, so here we are making a start.

1/72 Airfix Spitfire PRXIX with Resin Camera


A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX. 
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build. 

I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build! 

The Devils in the Decals


Well we’re on the home stretch! The decals are going on brilliantly thanks to many coats of Klear allowing a few days for them to cure and then soaking the decals off their sheets using good old Humbrol Decalfix. You have to be really careful when using this stuff around Tamiya Acrylic paints but as long as you take care, using sparingly on the model itself and don’t move the decal about too much once on the surface of the model its works great…. lol

Almost time to load her out with some weaponry, for this build I have chosen to build this in heavy hog configuration. One of the only images I could find of this particular airframe show her as being one of those lucky enough to go out equipped with 4 XM-159 19 shot rocket launchers. I have a couple in the spares box from the TH-1 kit I built so that is how I am building her!

UH-1D Finished!


Here she is in her finished form, I finished her over a week ago truth be told I just hadn’t had time to update the blog until now. I have to say I am very pleased with the way she turned out, I actually had to scratch build one of the windows as I lost it to the carpet monster at the last minute.

I could probably do with dropping a panel line wash on her just to bring out the vents etc that I worked to correct, other than that there isn’t really anything else to say. The kit itself, well much like the subject its certainly showing its age, but it you spend a bit of time working on it, I think it really pays off as it builds into a great model of this venerable old helo.

UH-1D Gets Some Paint


Another update on the UH-1D, I think I am still running to schedule for getting her completed for tomorrows group build deadline. I got most of the paint done last night, the doors could do with another coat and theres a few touch ups needed in places, she should be good enough for decals this afternoon, then I can get the final touch ups a details painted tonight (maybe sand off that light above the engine nacelle and replace with a clear sprue sections or something too) and the get her glass fitted and finally rotors on along with the final varnish tomorrow.

UH-1D Update!


I may or may not have realized that my UH-1D build is due for
completion this Sunday in order to meet the group build deadline I am
building it for! So here’s an update as to where it stands.

As
you can see I corrected the vents from Horizontal to vertical slats and
added photo etch mesh for the ones at the rear. I have now got the
fuselage all buttoned up, primed and preshaded. I have also took the
tail planes off and attached them to the correct sides beings as how
they’re on the wrong way round in the photos 😉

Next up masking the 3 colour camo and getting some paint on so I can get the decals on her Saturday afternoon!

Snow Speeder Weathering


The Snows Speeder is pretty much done as you can see in the images attached. The battle damage and weathering is being taken care of courtesy of some Maskol chipping as we have seen previous and Humbrol and Ammo pigments!

Huey Progress


I have finally began the second build for the helicopter group build over on the Britmodeller forum, the Revell 1/72 Huey UH-1D SAR. First up is the cabin, this came together really easily and looks quite nice now its done.

Next up I plan on tackling the vents on the engine housing as these are all wrong for a German machine.

Jaguar Complete!


Well I am calling her done for now, theres a couple of touch ups I still
need to do and I wanted to weather her a bit, but I don’t have the
right weathering set for this colour pallete at the moment. I didn’t
think I was ever going to get it finished at one point but I am glad I
got the mojo back enough to face this one again as I am really pleased
with the out come on this one, it looks much better than I ever thought
it would.