East of Scotland Model Show 2017

This weekend saw the annual East of Scotland Model Show put on by IPMS Dundee, which is the club I have recently joined. Unfortunately due to work commitments I was only able to attend for the last hour of the show but still there was plenty to see, a fantastic number of entries to the competition all of which were superb, the club displays from all the attending clubs were all top quality and there were of course plenty of temptations provided by the visiting vendors!

I didn’t grab many photos as arriving straight from work and in somewhat of a rush I only had my phone with me but these are some of my favourite builds from the show, hopefully next year I’ll be able to attend properly and get some builds in the competition myself.

Cockpit complete




Well after what seemed like far too many parts of etch the cockpit is pretty much complete and it’s time to shut the fuselage up, meaning that most of the etch will never be seen again but that’s nothing new is it! Onward!

Intakes




I knew the intakes were going to be an issue with this kit when I purchased it and right enough they’re an issue! I was going to remedy the issue with Styrene sheet as usual however I had thought about attempting a fix like this previously using several coats of Mr Surfacer but didn’t have the time to see it through, so this time I thought I would take the time to give it a go and see how it turns out, so on goes the first coat!

New project!



Well the progress on the MiG-27 is slowing down a little as there’s a lot of waiting around at the moment waiting for things to cure etc and I had just received an Aztec decal sheet for Vampires in Latin American colours so I thought I would make a start on a build of Revells boxing of the MPM Vampire F.Mk3 in 1/72nd and happily there’s still time to build as and entry for the Made in Britain Group build on Britmodeller so here we go!

 

You Spin Me Right Round!


Propeller assembly is now complete and painted up. I have done a little work on the main seam on the fuselage so its almost done. I have also now put the main parts of the wings together and again the fit it pretty good, very little work is going to be needed on the seams once the glue has dried.

Thin that fuselage!


So after fitting the camera window in to the fuselage it was time for a dry fit with the resin camera in place and as expected the fuselage wouldn’t close up. Out came the rotary tool with a diamond attachment for a little thinning of the fuselage walls, nothing major required about a single mm off each side was enough and the fuselage was dry fitting ok.

1/72 Airfix Spitfire PRXIX with Resin Camera


A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX. 
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build. 

I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build! 

Build Complete!


She’s done, there was a few last minute problems, for example one of the inner pylons was sitting at a strange angle so I had to take the stub wing apart and sand the part to modify the angle in order to prevent the back part of the XM-159 sitting against the skid. There were the other usual touch ups and hassles you get when trying to finish a build but all in all I am really happy with this one, the last two builds, the Huey SAR and this Huey Cobra have been some of my best finished builds to look at. I am finally getting to the stage where I don’t look at the end result and want to chuck it in the bin. I hope you enjoy looking at her as much as I do.

The Devils in the Decals


Well we’re on the home stretch! The decals are going on brilliantly thanks to many coats of Klear allowing a few days for them to cure and then soaking the decals off their sheets using good old Humbrol Decalfix. You have to be really careful when using this stuff around Tamiya Acrylic paints but as long as you take care, using sparingly on the model itself and don’t move the decal about too much once on the surface of the model its works great…. lol

Almost time to load her out with some weaponry, for this build I have chosen to build this in heavy hog configuration. One of the only images I could find of this particular airframe show her as being one of those lucky enough to go out equipped with 4 XM-159 19 shot rocket launchers. I have a couple in the spares box from the TH-1 kit I built so that is how I am building her!

Lets lay some paint!


Well I have been building up the layers on the Olive drab, here is a quick shot of her in between coats at the moment, I think I have one or two more to go till I have the desired shade and difference with my pre-shade. A little more detail work to be done on the rotors too, here the additional spars being added that are missing from the kit, I also have a couple of pieces of etch to put on.