So whilst this isnt quite a ressurection of the undead from beyond the grave I thought it about time we did some more work to the Vampire build. I had a few issues with the fit of the intakes, this seems to be a common issue for me and I am starting to wonder if it’s the way I am building the kits.
With the benefit of hindsight I don’t think I would follow the construction order given in the instructions for this if I was to build these parts again I think I would either attach the intake to one half of a wing, attach this to the fuselage then complete with the other half of the wing, or attach the intake to the fuselage first, then put the wing in place before the glue between the wing halves cures just so I can move all the parts in relation to one another to try and get the best possible fit.
However it is what it is and I have a slight step and some gaps to deal with so I go with my tried and tested method of Mr Surfacer 1000 to address this issue. Here’s some photo’s waiting for the 2nd coat of Mr Surfacer to cure after the inital coat was sanded.
Well after what seemed like far too many parts of etch the cockpit is pretty much complete and it’s time to shut the fuselage up, meaning that most of the etch will never be seen again but that’s nothing new is it! Onward!
Progress slowed a little of late on this one but the intakes are looking OK to my eye, I put primer on to see what they looked like in paint and I don’t think they too bad at all considering the size of the step that was there. I left her belly up with the primer drying on the underside last night, which meant I spent a lot of time looking at those dodgy wheel wells. I may throw in some cabling or something to try and add a bit of interest, depends if I can find any reference images or not.
Ok so I am a little bit behind in my updates on here, I am struggling to get back into my blogging mind set, here some pictures of the cockpit for the Cobra, I used the RES-IM etch set for the kit. Got to love Eduard Etch
Well I have been able to get a little further with the Cobra tonight, this Tamiya International Orange is airbrushing on quite thinly so several coats have been the order of the day, just waiting for it to dry so I can mask it off and get the green down!
Well I am calling it done, there’s one or two things I would like
to have changed, for example I kind of wish I had modeled her in flight,
I have decided against weathering it as granted there’s not a vast
amount of images of them in this scheme but those that are seem to show
some pretty pristinely kept airframes, although should could probably
benefit from a very light panel wash in the future I dont have the right
colours so no point putting a dark one on for the sake of it as it
probably wouldnt look right.
All in all for a low budget kit that has risen from the ashes of the
failed Tan models project I think that its a great little kit, sure it
has its inaccuracies but so do a lot of kits that cost a hell of a lot
more than this ones £10 price tag and it really is a fun little kit to
build, the decal sheet is extensive and is great to work with, plenty of
options to build but the instructions probably could do with improving
to say the least
Ok sneak peak before she’s finished. I had an incident with some masking
tape removing part of a decal and some paint.. note to self always go
to the hobby shop and buy more tamiya tape instead of trying to use the
duck brand hi tac masking tape you bought for painting the skirting in
the house. I kind of recovered, has left a mark where there wasnt one
before, I would normally sand down and repaint the area but time isnt
going to allow it as the build is for a group build on Britmodeller and the deadline is this weekend. I butchered some other decals to patch up the
damaged one and thats ok but the paint area is going to annoy me so I will probably fix this in the none to distant future.
Another quick shot of the F-5A from Tiger Hobbies. Flat Black’s applied, and the pic shows her waiting for decals. I actually made a start on them last night and they’re pretty good. The wing walkway outline broke up a bit but the stencils have all been easy to work with, they’re maybe using carrier film thats a touch thick for my liking but in general they’re pretty good. So much so I might actually keep the Turkish option to use on another F-5 I have planned.
Finally starting to look like an aircraft. Got the first paint down on her last night, I have used Revell Aqua’s Aluminium for this. I was going to pick out some panels with a different shade of metallic but I’m not sure if I should bother as the blue diamonds ships always seem to be spotless in the images I have seen.