I’ve Hawked that up, well kind of!

20190511_202244.jpg
Dry fitting the wings.

I thought I would do a little work on the Hawk so I thought I would continue with the build and dry fit the wings, well the fit was really good, like unheard of for Airfix good, so in my excitement at the great fit I glued the wings together and attached them to the fuselage, I also took the opportunity to attach the tail planes as you can see in the image below and I retired for the evening and its been a couple of days since glueing as I have been distracted with the laser cutter.

20190603_174232.jpg
Wings and Tail planes attached, but wait.. it seems I have forgotten something!

So I returned from work today and decided to do a little more work on the Hawk. Out came the box and I looked at the instruction sheet to see where I was and what I should be doing next and it was at this point that I realised, in my haste and excitement the other night at finding a couple of parts in an airfix kit that actually fit together, that I had missed out a couple of crucial steps!

I had intended to build the airframe fully loaded out but I have missed drilling out the fixing points for the underwing pylons! Also the wing tip mounted ordinance required the cutting off of the kits wing tips to fit replacement tips that are moulded with pylons. All of this should have been done before building the wings and attaching them to the fuselage as can be seen in the photo of the instructions.

20190603_174303.jpg
Ahh the instructions, maybe I should consult these more often!

So now I have to decide whether to try and take the wings back off and seperate the halves, or just to build her clean with no ordinance. To say I am a little annoyed would be an understatement. I think it’s time to put this one back in the box for a couple of nights whilst I think about this although I fear my choice has already been removed and made for me by the error. In the mean time though I think it’s time to get the SR-71 back out.

Mellow yellow


I am loving this Mr Color paint, and no that’s not just the fumes talking. This is the first time I have ever used this range of paints and after a couple of disasters trying to thin the paint with various incorrect thinners I finally got a bottle of Mr Color Self Levelling Thinners and a quick test shoot confirmed I should have got the correct thinners from the start as this sprayed beautifully through the 0.2mm with a basic 50:50 mix ratio.

I can certainly see me using more of Mr Color in the future, but in the mean time the main Black Green is going to be supplied courtesy of the Vallejo Model Air range of colours.

So much for keeping it simple



So much for keeping things nice and simple. As I had almost finished the paint I removed the masking tape and blue tack covering the cockpit and it really struck me how poor the cockpit was looking (there isn’t even a control stick) and the seat especially was annoying me, it looked pretty bad and also seems to sit too far forward leaving quite a big gap between the back of the seat and where the none existant bulkhead should be. These photos are from earlier on in the build to illustrate how poor things are looking as standard.

 

Intakes done


Progress slowed a little of late on this one but the intakes are looking OK to my eye, I put primer on to see what they looked like in paint and I don’t think they too bad at all considering the size of the step that was there. I left her belly up with the primer drying on the underside last night, which meant I spent a lot of time looking at those dodgy wheel wells. I may throw in some cabling or something to try and add a bit of interest, depends if I can find any reference images or not.

Decal Time


This really is a lovely little kit of a fantastic looking aircraft, looks fast even when at a standstill.

I forgot to take an image during primer and paint, but to be honest the Tamiya fine primer and Vallejo Faded PRU Blue was uneventful in a good way!

You Spin Me Right Round!


Propeller assembly is now complete and painted up. I have done a little work on the main seam on the fuselage so its almost done. I have also now put the main parts of the wings together and again the fit it pretty good, very little work is going to be needed on the seams once the glue has dried.

Office Installation

 


I noticed that the main instrument panel was just to be left black matt with no decal or details on it which didn’t really sit right with me so I got out the styrene sheet and made a main instrument panel, drilled some holes for dials and filled these with PVA glue for the lenses. I also made a camera control box from lamianted styrene sheet which fitted above the main IP.

As you can see I have also painted and fitted the camera, this was all glued in place and the fuselage was shut. The seam lines need a little fettling to blend in but nothing much at all.

It’s safe to say I am fair enjoying this kit, it’s fit its almost spot on, it’s exterior is nicely detailed and the kits nice and simple to construct. Just what the mojo ordered

Thin that fuselage!


So after fitting the camera window in to the fuselage it was time for a dry fit with the resin camera in place and as expected the fuselage wouldn’t close up. Out came the rotary tool with a diamond attachment for a little thinning of the fuselage walls, nothing major required about a single mm off each side was enough and the fuselage was dry fitting ok.

A Tale of Two Halves.. of Fuselage


Another day another update, here’s the Cobra after installing the cockpit and bringing the two halves together. There’s the bottom plate to sort out, apparently the AH-1G should have all those raised details sanded off as I guess they weren’t equipped with these parts back then, best get sanding again