Finally starting to look like an aircraft. Got the first paint down on her last night, I have used Revell Aqua’s Aluminium for this. I was going to pick out some panels with a different shade of metallic but I’m not sure if I should bother as the blue diamonds ships always seem to be spotless in the images I have seen.
Ok so it has been a while since I have posted any updates, its been hard to get time to do much at the bench over the last week or so and when I have been at the bench its seems I have spent an inordinate amount of time sorting out what should be minor issues. Anyway I finally got the Light Aircraft Grey on the Gnat, I am using enamels on this one rather than acrylics and this in itself has not been without issue but its done now and she is finally ready to be masked off for the Dayglo work to be done!
So it really didn’t take long for me to make my first mistake when building this kit. As is almost always recommended for model aircraft I started with the cockpit. Sub assembly wasnt without issue due to the poor quality of the moulding with my kit, some parts clearly hadn’t had enough plastic resin injected into them and were actually incomplete!
But the whole point of this kit was too blow off the cobwebs and I knew I was going to make many errors on the way so I wasnt too fussed. The parts were assembled and detail painted.
As I mentioned its been a fair few years since I have built a kit, and I pretty much have always been a brush painter. The last kit I built which was an F-117 I did play about with a couple of cheap airbrushes running on cans of propellant as a tool for mass coverage but thats about it. Well being at the Model Show and seeing peoples results from using an airbrush and I was a convert.
I managed to convince my better half to buy me a small compressor and airbrush (more about which can be found in the equipment section soon) so of course I needed a booth with extractor naturally. Well it all pretty much arrived at the the same time.
So I’ve taken my time getting here but here was mistake number one, all my
new toys arrived and I was just itching to give them all a go so no sooner was I home from work that everything was unboxed, set up and ready to go. I cemented the fuselage together (ignoring the horrific fit and step between the two halves) and got to airbrushing on a primer and then the base grey coat.
It wasn’t until after this though that I noticed, sitting on the desk in front of the new spray booth and the freshly painted carcass of the F-5, was the cockpit sub assembly, you can actually see it in the photo above, sitting next to the craft knife on the right. In my rush I had forgotten all about it and had to crack the fuselage back open to install it!