I’ve Hawked that up, well kind of!

20190511_202244.jpg
Dry fitting the wings.

I thought I would do a little work on the Hawk so I thought I would continue with the build and dry fit the wings, well the fit was really good, like unheard of for Airfix good, so in my excitement at the great fit I glued the wings together and attached them to the fuselage, I also took the opportunity to attach the tail planes as you can see in the image below and I retired for the evening and its been a couple of days since glueing as I have been distracted with the laser cutter.

20190603_174232.jpg
Wings and Tail planes attached, but wait.. it seems I have forgotten something!

So I returned from work today and decided to do a little more work on the Hawk. Out came the box and I looked at the instruction sheet to see where I was and what I should be doing next and it was at this point that I realised, in my haste and excitement the other night at finding a couple of parts in an airfix kit that actually fit together, that I had missed out a couple of crucial steps!

I had intended to build the airframe fully loaded out but I have missed drilling out the fixing points for the underwing pylons! Also the wing tip mounted ordinance required the cutting off of the kits wing tips to fit replacement tips that are moulded with pylons. All of this should have been done before building the wings and attaching them to the fuselage as can be seen in the photo of the instructions.

20190603_174303.jpg
Ahh the instructions, maybe I should consult these more often!

So now I have to decide whether to try and take the wings back off and seperate the halves, or just to build her clean with no ordinance. To say I am a little annoyed would be an understatement. I think it’s time to put this one back in the box for a couple of nights whilst I think about this although I fear my choice has already been removed and made for me by the error. In the mean time though I think it’s time to get the SR-71 back out.

Advertisements

HMS Astute Reporting for Paint!

Main Hull of the 1:700 HMS Astute ready for paint
Main Hull of the 1:700 HMS Astute ready for paint

I haven’t forgotten about this kit, I finally have the hull seam somewhere near like respectable, well its close enough anyway. So here we have the main hull assembly and the prop ready and waiting for a coat of ever so boring Vallejo Black!

Intakes done


Progress slowed a little of late on this one but the intakes are looking OK to my eye, I put primer on to see what they looked like in paint and I don’t think they too bad at all considering the size of the step that was there. I left her belly up with the primer drying on the underside last night, which meant I spent a lot of time looking at those dodgy wheel wells. I may throw in some cabling or something to try and add a bit of interest, depends if I can find any reference images or not.

1/72 Airfix Spitfire PRXIX with Resin Camera


A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX. 
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build. 

I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build! 

Murder Inc!


Well I have been pretty conspicuous in my absence over the summer months, this is down in no small part to a currently stalled build of an SR-71 causing my mojo to depart for a while, however I figured it is time to get back on the horse and looking over my stash I could think of no better way to do this than another of AZ models 1/72 Cobra kits and by happy coincidence theres a Bell Huey STGB in progress on Britmodeller at the moment, although it closes at the start of November so I am going to have to get my skates on with this one!

As you will have seen in the photos I have Eduards little etch set for this kit, not really done much with etch before so this should be educational at least! I also have a Pavla Canopy for this kit but the kit canopy is actually looking pretty well and there were only minor fit issues with the one on the TH-1G I have built previously so I may not even use this.

Jaguar Pit Complete


So heres a couple poor pictures of the completed sub assembly for the Jaguar cockpit. Considering its out of the box its actually a pretty decent cockpit when compared to some other kits. I picked out all the details using a 000 gauge brush and Tamiya acrylics