1/72 Airfix Spitfire PRXIX with Resin Camera

A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX. 
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build. 

I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build! 


Jaguar Update

So I have been working on the Jaguar a fair bit just lately, after so many issues with the fit of this kit I had kind of consigned it to never be finished; but completing the Cobra build really got my mojo up and I have been quite happily plugging away with this now. So I scanned the images for the temporary snow camo they used for the Norway training ops in the mid 80s (although the representation on the art work is much tidier than the real air craft ever were) cut out the paper masks and stuck them on using my new found Maskol technique. This was repeated on the fuel tanks and a few coats of Tamiya Flat white were thrown at her through the airbrush.

Wings That Whirl!

Hi everyone, well I have to admit working to get my F-5A finished just lately has really got my modeler mojo back and fresh from taking part in my first ever Group Build I have signed up for another on Britmodeller.

I really enjoyed being able to see everyones builds unfold and how each person handled various issues that arose during the course of their builds. It was also great to be able to talk to people who were fantastically knowledgeable on both the hobby and the subject matter in hand.

For my first foray in to the world of rotory winged aircraft I have decided to build this AZ Models 1/72 TH-1G Training Cobra kit that I picked up for much cheapness from Hannants the other day. I had a quick look at the sprues etc and it seems a nice kit. The instructions seem a little confusing at first glance but compared to the Tiger Hobbies instructions that come with the F-5A I have just completed they are positively encyclopeadic.

The kit comes with two main sprues of buff coloured plastic, parts seem nicely moulded and are free from flash. Theres a small resin part which replaces the gun assembley for the trainer variants and a small fret of Photo Etched parts, which will be another first for me, as I have never worked with PE before.

Everythings sitting in my spray booth at the moment just waiting for me to make a start!


Build Complete!

Well I am calling it done, there’s one or two things I would like
to have changed, for example I kind of wish I had modeled her in flight,
I have decided against weathering it as granted there’s not a vast
amount of images of them in this scheme but those that are seem to show
some pretty pristinely kept airframes, although should could probably
benefit from a very light panel wash in the future I dont have the right
colours so no point putting a dark one on for the sake of it as it
probably wouldnt look right.

All in all for a low budget kit that has risen from the ashes of the
failed Tan models project I think that its a great little kit, sure it
has its inaccuracies but so do a lot of kits that cost a hell of a lot
more than this ones £10 price tag and it really is a fun little kit to
build, the decal sheet is extensive and is great to work with, plenty of
options to build but the instructions probably could do with improving
to say the least


Laying Down Some Paint!

Finally starting to look like an aircraft. Got the first paint down on her last night, I have used Revell Aqua’s Aluminium for this. I was going to pick out some panels with a different shade of metallic but I’m not sure if I should bother as the blue diamonds ships always seem to be spotless in the images I have seen.


Progress on the F-5A

Just a quick update on the F-5A Tiger Hobbies kit I am working on at the moment. As you will see from the top image I had a small problem when removing the wings from the Sprue Gates.

One of the wings was fine and only had 3 or 4 gates holding it in place, however the other wing had 7 or 8 gates holding it in place and unfortunately as I was trimming them the ones on the trailing edge of the wing snapped off of their own volition and chomped the wing a little.

Thanks to a little minor surgery and some of that Deluxe Plastic Putty stuff I have got it looking half decent again. Not much left now before paint, Yay!


Jaguar Progress

Ok so it seems as so often is the way I have ended up a little sidetracked with my other projects and the Jaguar is taking precedent! as you can see the nose  module, the cockpit module and the main part of the fuselage have all been assembled and put together. So far theres not been any real fit issues, however on dry fitting the intakes there seems to be a bit of a gap there thats going to need filling, but if thats as bad as it gets I will be happy!


More progress on the 2nd Gnat

So I have continued working on the 2nd 1/72 Gnat whilst waiting for the paint masks to arrive for the Hurricane. Cockpit all built up and detail picked out on the sidewalls, just waiting on the paint drying on the undercarriage.