MIG Update



I know I havent posted for a while, things have been a little hectic in the flat so I haven’t had much time at the bench, here is a quick look at the paint on the MiG build now the demarcation has been sharpened up, needs a couple of touch ups etc but its looking ok.

I have also decided on the weapons this ones goingto be carrying, load out is going to be a couple of OFAB-100 on the rear pylons, UB-32 pods on the wing gloves, UB-16 on the outer fuselage pylons and the centre line will carry an external fuel tank. After all, who doesnt like rockets!

Decal Time


This really is a lovely little kit of a fantastic looking aircraft, looks fast even when at a standstill.

I forgot to take an image during primer and paint, but to be honest the Tamiya fine primer and Vallejo Faded PRU Blue was uneventful in a good way!

1/72 Airfix Spitfire PRXIX with Resin Camera


A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX. 
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build. 

I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build! 

Wings That Whirl!


Hi everyone, well I have to admit working to get my F-5A finished just lately has really got my modeler mojo back and fresh from taking part in my first ever Group Build I have signed up for another on Britmodeller.

I really enjoyed being able to see everyones builds unfold and how each person handled various issues that arose during the course of their builds. It was also great to be able to talk to people who were fantastically knowledgeable on both the hobby and the subject matter in hand.

For my first foray in to the world of rotory winged aircraft I have decided to build this AZ Models 1/72 TH-1G Training Cobra kit that I picked up for much cheapness from Hannants the other day. I had a quick look at the sprues etc and it seems a nice kit. The instructions seem a little confusing at first glance but compared to the Tiger Hobbies instructions that come with the F-5A I have just completed they are positively encyclopeadic.

The kit comes with two main sprues of buff coloured plastic, parts seem nicely moulded and are free from flash. Theres a small resin part which replaces the gun assembley for the trainer variants and a small fret of Photo Etched parts, which will be another first for me, as I have never worked with PE before.

Everythings sitting in my spray booth at the moment just waiting for me to make a start!

Progress on the F-5A


Just a quick update on the F-5A Tiger Hobbies kit I am working on at the moment. As you will see from the top image I had a small problem when removing the wings from the Sprue Gates.

One of the wings was fine and only had 3 or 4 gates holding it in place, however the other wing had 7 or 8 gates holding it in place and unfortunately as I was trimming them the ones on the trailing edge of the wing snapped off of their own volition and chomped the wing a little.

Thanks to a little minor surgery and some of that Deluxe Plastic Putty stuff I have got it looking half decent again. Not much left now before paint, Yay!

F-5A Update


Well I got some more time at the bench and ask you can see from the photos I have managed to decipher enough of the fag packet instructions that come with this model to get the cockpit together and the in place and assemble the main two halves of the fuselage.

I love getting this stage done on any build as next is attaching the wings etc and this is when a build really starts to take shape!

Jaguar Progress


Ok so it seems as so often is the way I have ended up a little sidetracked with my other projects and the Jaguar is taking precedent! as you can see the nose  module, the cockpit module and the main part of the fuselage have all been assembled and put together. So far theres not been any real fit issues, however on dry fitting the intakes there seems to be a bit of a gap there thats going to need filling, but if thats as bad as it gets I will be happy!

Jaguar Pit Complete


So heres a couple poor pictures of the completed sub assembly for the Jaguar cockpit. Considering its out of the box its actually a pretty decent cockpit when compared to some other kits. I picked out all the details using a 000 gauge brush and Tamiya acrylics

The peel to reveal!


So here it is masking peeled. Im pretty happy with the result as it looks a closer to an accurate Type-A Scheme than I would have achieved without using the pre cut mask.

Now I’m sitting here thinking bugger, I still have masking to do as I just realised I have done the white/black on the underside! Better get the tape out!