This book is a great tale of life in service during throughout a major part of the cold war. The author manages to take you along with him on his journey from early life in Glasgow to his deployments in service in the Royal Air Force, and along with all the hard work came many amusing incidents that really shows the great comradery between colleagues that seemed ever present no matter where the author found himself stationed.
Whilst operational stories are always interesting to aviation enthusiasts, the authors stories of how these crews let off steam and really did live the work hard, play hard lifestyle are not only often funny, but I thought it showed a real human side to the RAF during a time when almost everything they did in training and practice sorties was ultimately aimed at preparing for having to go beyond the Iron Curtain in one way or another.
For me I ended up finding it was these anecdotes of lighter moments that really made the book, not to detract from the rest of it mind you, but they really seemed to make the book go beyond merely an operational history for the author to make it feel almost feel like an old friend or relative was recounting stories from years past over a drink or two. If you have any kind of interest in the RAF, or those that serve then this is definitely worth a read.
As always thanks go to Pen and Sword books for the copy to review, you can find the book for sale on their site for which a link can be found in the links section of this sites menu.
It’s finally time to get back to sticking some plastic together! I’ve been working on the Vampire again and have managed to get the fuslage shut and the main parts of the wings together. This was fairly uneventful although I have been left with a small step at one of the wing roots which I am not sure how to address without losing some of the fine rivet engraving etc. I may just have to try and reinstate this after some remedial work is carried out.
Whilst this book may not be a modelling resource as such many modellers do have an interest in this period and its events and this book gives detailed accounts of some of the unforgiving meetings between the aircraft and crews of allied forces under Bomber Command and those of the Luftwaffe’s Nachtjagd during the latter years of WWII.
Much of the information provided of these encounters and the bitter aerial battles that resulted is given first hand, as experienced by aircrews on both sides of the conflict.
This wealth of information depth, first hand testimony and operational details along with the profiles of many of those involved from both sides of the conflict provides the reader a great insight in to the units and people involved during this period of the war.
So I have been working on the Jaguar a fair bit just lately, after so many issues with the fit of this kit I had kind of consigned it to never be finished; but completing the Cobra build really got my mojo up and I have been quite happily plugging away with this now. So I scanned the images for the temporary snow camo they used for the Norway training ops in the mid 80s (although the representation on the art work is much tidier than the real air craft ever were) cut out the paper masks and stuck them on using my new found Maskol technique. This was repeated on the fuel tanks and a few coats of Tamiya Flat white were thrown at her through the airbrush.
Here are some photographs of the completed MKI Hurricane by Airfix in 1/72nd Scale. First of all I need to thank Mitch from Britmodeller for sending me a spare canopy after mine met with disaster through my own stupidity.
I think the brown colour is incorrect but I kind of like how it looked when it had dried so I left it instead of painting over. Painted using a mix of Tamiya and Revell Acrylics and Varnished with Windsor and Newton Matt on the top side of the aircraft. I hope you like it and if you have any suggestions for improvements they’ll be greatfully received.
The 2nd Gnat is finally completed. I added the last of the details tonight so I thought I would post up a few snaps of the finished article on her own and along side her sister aircraft. If you have any comments/critique/suggestions for improvement then please do make them!
So heres a quick snap of the 2nd Gnat as its getting the decals applied, a little annoyed as I bought white roundels to sit under the RAF roundels on top of the wing as the first Gnats Dayglo bled through the white, however is seems the white roundels are either 0.5mm to big or more likely the Airfix roundels are 0.5mm too small so I have a small white ring round the outside of the roundels now. Aircraft serial numbers have been altered, top decals almost complete, just got to flip it over and do the underside!
Ok so it seems as so often is the way I have ended up a little sidetracked with my other projects and the Jaguar is taking precedent! as you can see the nose module, the cockpit module and the main part of the fuselage have all been assembled and put together. So far theres not been any real fit issues, however on dry fitting the intakes there seems to be a bit of a gap there thats going to need filling, but if thats as bad as it gets I will be happy!
So heres a couple poor pictures of the completed sub assembly for the Jaguar cockpit. Considering its out of the box its actually a pretty decent cockpit when compared to some other kits. I picked out all the details using a 000 gauge brush and Tamiya acrylics