A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX.
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build.
I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build!
Well I am calling it done, there’s one or two things I would like
to have changed, for example I kind of wish I had modeled her in flight,
I have decided against weathering it as granted there’s not a vast
amount of images of them in this scheme but those that are seem to show
some pretty pristinely kept airframes, although should could probably
benefit from a very light panel wash in the future I dont have the right
colours so no point putting a dark one on for the sake of it as it
probably wouldnt look right.
All in all for a low budget kit that has risen from the ashes of the
failed Tan models project I think that its a great little kit, sure it
has its inaccuracies but so do a lot of kits that cost a hell of a lot
more than this ones £10 price tag and it really is a fun little kit to
build, the decal sheet is extensive and is great to work with, plenty of
options to build but the instructions probably could do with improving
to say the least
Ok sneak peak before she’s finished. I had an incident with some masking
tape removing part of a decal and some paint.. note to self always go
to the hobby shop and buy more tamiya tape instead of trying to use the
duck brand hi tac masking tape you bought for painting the skirting in
the house. I kind of recovered, has left a mark where there wasnt one
before, I would normally sand down and repaint the area but time isnt
going to allow it as the build is for a group build on Britmodeller and the deadline is this weekend. I butchered some other decals to patch up the
damaged one and thats ok but the paint area is going to annoy me so I will probably fix this in the none to distant future.
Another quick shot of the F-5A from Tiger Hobbies. Flat Black’s applied, and the pic shows her waiting for decals. I actually made a start on them last night and they’re pretty good. The wing walkway outline broke up a bit but the stencils have all been easy to work with, they’re maybe using carrier film thats a touch thick for my liking but in general they’re pretty good. So much so I might actually keep the Turkish option to use on another F-5 I have planned.
Finally starting to look like an aircraft. Got the first paint down on her last night, I have used Revell Aqua’s Aluminium for this. I was going to pick out some panels with a different shade of metallic but I’m not sure if I should bother as the blue diamonds ships always seem to be spotless in the images I have seen.
So I know I have been away for a while, but this should be me back at the bench now! I have my first ever group build I committed too a few months ago now due to start this weekend on the Britmodeller forum and it’s a Single Type Group Build of my favourite airframe the Northrop F-5!
This is going to be the first of a couple of builds I intend to do for the STGB and for it I am using the Tiger Hobbies 1/48 F-5A kit, it’s not a fantastically accurate kit to be honest, but it builds into something thats kind of F-5 shaped and considering its price point I can forgive the inaccuracy.
I am going to be building this straight out of box and into the Philipene Blue Diamond Acroteam scheme shown at the top of one of the photos above. I have been looking forward to being a part of my first Group Build so I will be throwing myself into it with great eagerness!
Here are some photographs of the completed MKI Hurricane by Airfix in 1/72nd Scale. First of all I need to thank Mitch from Britmodeller for sending me a spare canopy after mine met with disaster through my own stupidity.
I think the brown colour is incorrect but I kind of like how it looked when it had dried so I left it instead of painting over. Painted using a mix of Tamiya and Revell Acrylics and Varnished with Windsor and Newton Matt on the top side of the aircraft. I hope you like it and if you have any suggestions for improvements they’ll be greatfully received.
The 2nd Gnat is finally completed. I added the last of the details tonight so I thought I would post up a few snaps of the finished article on her own and along side her sister aircraft. If you have any comments/critique/suggestions for improvement then please do make them!
So heres a quick snap of the 2nd Gnat as its getting the decals applied, a little annoyed as I bought white roundels to sit under the RAF roundels on top of the wing as the first Gnats Dayglo bled through the white, however is seems the white roundels are either 0.5mm to big or more likely the Airfix roundels are 0.5mm too small so I have a small white ring round the outside of the roundels now. Aircraft serial numbers have been altered, top decals almost complete, just got to flip it over and do the underside!