Previously I have posted about not liking too many builds on the go at the same time as I have suffered with my mojo and ended up with projects I have started but don’t want to finish.
Well this is right out the window as I attempt to keep my mojo high by starting another build, my thinking is maybe I wont lose interest if I am switching between many builds, it might go pear shaped but it might be a personal revelation so with this in mind here is the sprue and box shots of the Airfix 1:48 BAE Hawk 100 I am about to begin.
The keen of eye may have noticed that there’s a couple parts off sprue already and that there’s also a little packet of resin goodies in the photo too! This is a kit I picked up second hand off a Britmodeller member who was going through a little stash rationalisation, a completely foreign concept to me obviously as I bought it!
The resin is the NeOmega Cockpit interior set for this kit. In the box are decals for a Canadian scheme and a couple of RAAF schemes including the black panthers special scheme. I will be building one of the RAAF schemes, just not sure which.
Well it’s time to get another new build on the go I think! So I picked out the venerable old Revell SR-71 in 1/72 scale from the stash, I am not sure why I chose this one from the stash, I know its not the best kit due to its age, but I am sure with a little effort we can over come many of the issues.
I did briefly consider sanding down the raised panel lines etc and giving it a re-scribe, but to be frank it’s not something I have done before and the thought of doing this on an aircraft this size was somewhat daunting (despite the scale the aircraft is a decent size, in fact its larger than many of the 1:48 kits on my shelves!).
I will be finishing it as Rapid Rabbit, after all it would be rude not to when the decals for her are included in this boxing. It does mean however that the aircraft will be being painted the traditional all black scheme rather than one of the more exotic natural titanium finishes, but I may pick up the Academy kit or something to do that with in the future.
Enough with the talk! Here are the box and sprue shots, I will take some photos of the more obvious issues that can be seen on initial inspection of the contents, wish me look as I am going in!
I am loving this Mr Color paint, and no that’s not just the fumes talking. This is the first time I have ever used this range of paints and after a couple of disasters trying to thin the paint with various incorrect thinners I finally got a bottle of Mr Color Self Levelling Thinners and a quick test shoot confirmed I should have got the correct thinners from the start as this sprayed beautifully through the 0.2mm with a basic 50:50 mix ratio.
I can certainly see me using more of Mr Color in the future, but in the mean time the main Black Green is going to be supplied courtesy of the Vallejo Model Air range of colours.
This weekend saw the annual East of Scotland Model Show put on by IPMS Dundee, which is the club I have recently joined. Unfortunately due to work commitments I was only able to attend for the last hour of the show but still there was plenty to see, a fantastic number of entries to the competition all of which were superb, the club displays from all the attending clubs were all top quality and there were of course plenty of temptations provided by the visiting vendors!
I didn’t grab many photos as arriving straight from work and in somewhat of a rush I only had my phone with me but these are some of my favourite builds from the show, hopefully next year I’ll be able to attend properly and get some builds in the competition myself.
Whilst I am waiting on another coat of Mr Surfacer curing on the MiG-27 I thought I would crack on with the cockpit on the Vampire build. I am not expecting too many issues here as the kit is MPM plastic and the etch is MPM too, so here we are making a start.
Well the progress on the MiG-27 is slowing down a little as there’s a lot of waiting around at the moment waiting for things to cure etc and I had just received an Aztec decal sheet for Vampires in Latin American colours so I thought I would make a start on a build of Revells boxing of the MPM Vampire F.Mk3 in 1/72nd and happily there’s still time to build as and entry for the Made in Britain Group build on Britmodeller so here we go!
Well I have put the cockpit and nose together and attached to the fuselage, it’s starting to look a bit like a Flogger! I think I am actually going to get some primer on her just now so I can check seam lines before I put the intakes togther plus I will need to move the wings and prime the bare bits once the first coat of primer is dry.
That’s the tail and tailplanes fitted and the jet exhaust primed and ready for a coat of the lovely Vallejo jet exhaust funnily enough, my do some highlighting on the “petals” with some of the Mig Xtreme Metal colours, not sure yet as they’re quite small!
In the mean time though I best get this Flogger a front end so time to assemble the cockpit area and get that nose cone off the sprue and dry fitted!
Well I managed to get a start on this as I said so I built what little there is to the cockpit up and started dry fitting the wings / fuselage. The two halves of the main fuselage actually look pretty close to one another so there shouldn’t be much fettling required to get a nice join without much of a seam line to worry about which is always good!