MIG Update



I know I havent posted for a while, things have been a little hectic in the flat so I haven’t had much time at the bench, here is a quick look at the paint on the MiG build now the demarcation has been sharpened up, needs a couple of touch ups etc but its looking ok.

I have also decided on the weapons this ones goingto be carrying, load out is going to be a couple of OFAB-100 on the rear pylons, UB-32 pods on the wing gloves, UB-16 on the outer fuselage pylons and the centre line will carry an external fuel tank. After all, who doesnt like rockets!

Advertisements

So much for keeping it simple



So much for keeping things nice and simple. As I had almost finished the paint I removed the masking tape and blue tack covering the cockpit and it really struck me how poor the cockpit was looking (there isn’t even a control stick) and the seat especially was annoying me, it looked pretty bad and also seems to sit too far forward leaving quite a big gap between the back of the seat and where the none existant bulkhead should be. These photos are from earlier on in the build to illustrate how poor things are looking as standard.

 

Academy 1/72 MiG-27 Flogger D


Well my Spitfires decals were settling so I was stuck for something to do so I decided I would make a start on one of the builds I would like to do for the From Russia with Love GB over on the Britmodeller forums.

This ones just going to be a quick out the box effort on Academys 1/72 MiG-27. I know the kits got its issues, I beleive the nose is wrong for a D and the cockpit detail is almost none existant but I’m just looking for a quick build again at the moment and not get bogged down with corrections and detailing etc on this whilst I’m waiting on parts for a couple of other builds I want to get done for this and another gb so onwards.

 

Office Installation

 


I noticed that the main instrument panel was just to be left black matt with no decal or details on it which didn’t really sit right with me so I got out the styrene sheet and made a main instrument panel, drilled some holes for dials and filled these with PVA glue for the lenses. I also made a camera control box from lamianted styrene sheet which fitted above the main IP.

As you can see I have also painted and fitted the camera, this was all glued in place and the fuselage was shut. The seam lines need a little fettling to blend in but nothing much at all.

It’s safe to say I am fair enjoying this kit, it’s fit its almost spot on, it’s exterior is nicely detailed and the kits nice and simple to construct. Just what the mojo ordered

1/72 Airfix Spitfire PRXIX with Resin Camera


A new project begins! So I have been pottering about the bench and started a couple of kits but my heart just wasn’t really in them, a combination of not really being interested in the subject matter and difficulties with the builds meant they stalled. So after my visit to the Scottish Nationals I figured I would just throw myself back into it, I was looking through the stash for something that would be a simple enough task but would still produce a good looking model at the end and I settled on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX. 
I had a couple of resin cameras in the stash that would fit this kit too which I had picked up for about a pound from an online clearance sale so I figure I may as well use one on this build. 

I have decided to go with the Swedish markings for this build, I have a couple of these kits in the stash after picking them up at £2.99 a kit and I am glad I did buy in multiple on this occasion, the kit looks great from what I can see, no flash, nicely engraved detail, although the panel lines may be a little deep its only a small thing that could easily be rectified and for the first time in a long time I find myself looking forward to getting on with the build! 

Build Complete!


She’s done, there was a few last minute problems, for example one of the inner pylons was sitting at a strange angle so I had to take the stub wing apart and sand the part to modify the angle in order to prevent the back part of the XM-159 sitting against the skid. There were the other usual touch ups and hassles you get when trying to finish a build but all in all I am really happy with this one, the last two builds, the Huey SAR and this Huey Cobra have been some of my best finished builds to look at. I am finally getting to the stage where I don’t look at the end result and want to chuck it in the bin. I hope you enjoy looking at her as much as I do.

The Devils in the Decals


Well we’re on the home stretch! The decals are going on brilliantly thanks to many coats of Klear allowing a few days for them to cure and then soaking the decals off their sheets using good old Humbrol Decalfix. You have to be really careful when using this stuff around Tamiya Acrylic paints but as long as you take care, using sparingly on the model itself and don’t move the decal about too much once on the surface of the model its works great…. lol

Almost time to load her out with some weaponry, for this build I have chosen to build this in heavy hog configuration. One of the only images I could find of this particular airframe show her as being one of those lucky enough to go out equipped with 4 XM-159 19 shot rocket launchers. I have a couple in the spares box from the TH-1 kit I built so that is how I am building her!

Lets lay some paint!


Well I have been building up the layers on the Olive drab, here is a quick shot of her in between coats at the moment, I think I have one or two more to go till I have the desired shade and difference with my pre-shade. A little more detail work to be done on the rotors too, here the additional spars being added that are missing from the kit, I also have a couple of pieces of etch to put on.