I got some time at the bench so I thought I would get some of the Cobra
done, I started by painting up the instrument panels.
Then once I had painted up the seats I added the photo etch seatbelts,
is the first time I have ever used any etch, but as it came in the kit
it would have been rude not to!
I couldn’t quite work out how the rear instrument panel sub assembly
fitted into the cockpit tub, it was only after much swearing I realised
the seperate instruction sheet with the “recommendations and
improvements” for the kit said not to install it until after the
fuselage halves were together despite saying to add to the tub sub
assembly at the same time as everything else on the main instruction
sheet. This additional sheet definately had it right though, as soon as
I dry fit the halves I could see how easy it was going to be, so I
added the photo etch parts to the fuselage and joined the halves
Well I am calling it done, there’s one or two things I would like
to have changed, for example I kind of wish I had modeled her in flight,
I have decided against weathering it as granted there’s not a vast
amount of images of them in this scheme but those that are seem to show
some pretty pristinely kept airframes, although should could probably
benefit from a very light panel wash in the future I dont have the right
colours so no point putting a dark one on for the sake of it as it
probably wouldnt look right.
All in all for a low budget kit that has risen from the ashes of the
failed Tan models project I think that its a great little kit, sure it
has its inaccuracies but so do a lot of kits that cost a hell of a lot
more than this ones £10 price tag and it really is a fun little kit to
build, the decal sheet is extensive and is great to work with, plenty of
options to build but the instructions probably could do with improving
to say the least
Ok sneak peak before she’s finished. I had an incident with some masking
tape removing part of a decal and some paint.. note to self always go
to the hobby shop and buy more tamiya tape instead of trying to use the
duck brand hi tac masking tape you bought for painting the skirting in
the house. I kind of recovered, has left a mark where there wasnt one
before, I would normally sand down and repaint the area but time isnt
going to allow it as the build is for a group build on Britmodeller and the deadline is this weekend. I butchered some other decals to patch up the
damaged one and thats ok but the paint area is going to annoy me so I will probably fix this in the none to distant future.
Another quick shot of the F-5A from Tiger Hobbies. Flat Black’s applied, and the pic shows her waiting for decals. I actually made a start on them last night and they’re pretty good. The wing walkway outline broke up a bit but the stencils have all been easy to work with, they’re maybe using carrier film thats a touch thick for my liking but in general they’re pretty good. So much so I might actually keep the Turkish option to use on another F-5 I have planned.
Finally starting to look like an aircraft. Got the first paint down on her last night, I have used Revell Aqua’s Aluminium for this. I was going to pick out some panels with a different shade of metallic but I’m not sure if I should bother as the blue diamonds ships always seem to be spotless in the images I have seen.
Just a quick update on the F-5A Tiger Hobbies kit I am working on at the moment. As you will see from the top image I had a small problem when removing the wings from the Sprue Gates.
One of the wings was fine and only had 3 or 4 gates holding it in place, however the other wing had 7 or 8 gates holding it in place and unfortunately as I was trimming them the ones on the trailing edge of the wing snapped off of their own volition and chomped the wing a little.
Thanks to a little minor surgery and some of that Deluxe Plastic Putty stuff I have got it looking half decent again. Not much left now before paint, Yay!
Well I got some more time at the bench and ask you can see from the photos I have managed to decipher enough of the fag packet instructions that come with this model to get the cockpit together and the in place and assemble the main two halves of the fuselage.
I love getting this stage done on any build as next is attaching the wings etc and this is when a build really starts to take shape!
So I know I have been away for a while, but this should be me back at the bench now! I have my first ever group build I committed too a few months ago now due to start this weekend on the Britmodeller forum and it’s a Single Type Group Build of my favourite airframe the Northrop F-5!
This is going to be the first of a couple of builds I intend to do for the STGB and for it I am using the Tiger Hobbies 1/48 F-5A kit, it’s not a fantastically accurate kit to be honest, but it builds into something thats kind of F-5 shaped and considering its price point I can forgive the inaccuracy.
I am going to be building this straight out of box and into the Philipene Blue Diamond Acroteam scheme shown at the top of one of the photos above. I have been looking forward to being a part of my first Group Build so I will be throwing myself into it with great eagerness!
So the Decals are going on the first Gnat at the moment, to be honest considering how small this kit is even for a 1/72 I can believe the number of tiny decals included. Top work Airfix. Almost done though!