So following on from my first YouTube video showing the main instrument panel all lit up I thought that now the engine LEDs were all soldered up and the engines glued up I had better test the LED’s were still working!
As you can see they’re all running fine, the one on the bottom right is sitting a little further back in the engine that the others but I don’t think that it is worth trying to pull apart the engines now the glue is set to adjust, other than that there is still some light bleed where either I didn’t get an even coat of the metallics inside the engines or I have thinned the wall too much. What ever the cause I am hoping a couple coats of my new AK Primer with Microfillers will solve the issue.
So I tested an LED in situ and there was significant amounts of light bleeding through the bare plastic so I have painted the insides of the engines with a couple of coats of metallic paint to try and reduce this effect, I still have some spots that I am concerned about due to the wall thickness but I am hoping using a primer on the outside that contains micro fillers should sort that out… fingers crossed!
So I have dry fit the main components to see where I need to remove material to make way for the LEDs and running the wires. I also drilled the holes in the instrument panel for the fibre optics!
Well that’s the TIE complete. For all its simplicity it’s a nice looking kit once its built up, gave it a light weathering with some dark grey pigment but nothing too strong. I am actually quite pleased with the way it looks, might even get my proper camera out and take some better photos at some point, but in the mean time here’s the ones taken with my phone!
Not much to say really, it’s an iconic TIE Fighter window, painted the wrong colour according to the instructions colour call out. It should be a darker grey than the hull apparently but I didn’t notice this fact until after I had removed the masking, and considering the amount of time it took me to mask the window up … it’s staying the wrong colour. Can you just sense the rage from the StarWars community, the horror!
Well here’s the completed cockpit for the TIE. There really isn’t much to it, I tried to pick out some of the details in red and black as they are the presiding colours I remember from the films, or at least they’re the colours I associate with the inside of the TIE in my mind; regardless it has busied the office up a bit but I am unsure as to how much of this is actualy going to be visible anyway once its all buttoned up.
Well I am still working on the solar panels for the TIE, not surprising though as they’re the biggest part of the kit! Here are the first sides of the TIE’s solar panels now the framework has been painted and the masking removed, they’re still not how I hoped but at least the fine moulded details aren’t lost in the flatness of the paint anymore! They look all the better for having the grey framework around them to be honest, surprising how much of a difference this has made to the way they look.