Wings That Whirl!


Hi everyone, well I have to admit working to get my F-5A finished just lately has really got my modeler mojo back and fresh from taking part in my first ever Group Build I have signed up for another on Britmodeller.

I really enjoyed being able to see everyones builds unfold and how each person handled various issues that arose during the course of their builds. It was also great to be able to talk to people who were fantastically knowledgeable on both the hobby and the subject matter in hand.

For my first foray in to the world of rotory winged aircraft I have decided to build this AZ Models 1/72 TH-1G Training Cobra kit that I picked up for much cheapness from Hannants the other day. I had a quick look at the sprues etc and it seems a nice kit. The instructions seem a little confusing at first glance but compared to the Tiger Hobbies instructions that come with the F-5A I have just completed they are positively encyclopeadic.

The kit comes with two main sprues of buff coloured plastic, parts seem nicely moulded and are free from flash. Theres a small resin part which replaces the gun assembley for the trainer variants and a small fret of Photo Etched parts, which will be another first for me, as I have never worked with PE before.

Everythings sitting in my spray booth at the moment just waiting for me to make a start!

The Gnat Is Not Forgotten!


Ok so heres a quick shot of the Gnat, I haven’t forgotten about it, i had just been plodding along in the background with it whilst making the Hurricane the focus of my attention. I’ve just applied a coat of Klear and am going to give her a 2nd before applying the decals. In the mean time I have started my next project!

Gnat ready for masking


Ok so it has been a while since I have posted any updates, its been hard to get time to do much at the bench over the last week or so and when I have been at the bench its seems I have spent an inordinate amount of time sorting out what should be minor issues. Anyway I finally got the Light Aircraft Grey on the Gnat, I am using enamels on this one rather than acrylics and this in itself has not been without issue but its done now and she is finally ready to be masked off for the Dayglo work to be done!

Decals done!


So the Gnat is essentially finished. Thats the last of the decals on. I still haven’t decided what to do about weathering on this one as of yet, or even if I am going to weather it at all, I will be dropping her a couple of coats of Klear over the next couple of days just to protect the decals so plenty of time to decide. In the mean time though thats another build done and I get to move my focus on to the MK1 Hurricane!