She’s done, there was a few last minute problems, for example one of the inner pylons was sitting at a strange angle so I had to take the stub wing apart and sand the part to modify the angle in order to prevent the back part of the XM-159 sitting against the skid. There were the other usual touch ups and hassles you get when trying to finish a build but all in all I am really happy with this one, the last two builds, the Huey SAR and this Huey Cobra have been some of my best finished builds to look at. I am finally getting to the stage where I don’t look at the end result and want to chuck it in the bin. I hope you enjoy looking at her as much as I do.
Well I have been building up the layers on the Olive drab, here is a quick shot of her in between coats at the moment, I think I have one or two more to go till I have the desired shade and difference with my pre-shade. A little more detail work to be done on the rotors too, here the additional spars being added that are missing from the kit, I also have a couple of pieces of etch to put on.
Here we find a rare upside down Cobra, well the main part of the construction is now complete, the skids, stabilizers, stub wings, turret body and most of the etch are now together. I am being super careful with the skids on this one considering how many times I broke the ones of the TH-1 I built. Almost time for paint!
Ok so I am continuing to detail the model with the etch set and I thought I would show you the size of some of these parts. Now I have never really done much with etch before, in fact this is my first build using a full aftermarket etch fret so maybe I will get better with experience, but seriously look at the size of some of these parts and I have to attach them end on to the model without getting CA adhesive everywhere! Thank god Eduard provide a lot of spares for these small parts as there’s currently more in my carpet than glued to this model!
One of my only gripes with these great little AZ kits is the gun turret is a bit basic looking, so again I turned to the superb range of RES-IM and ordered me there replacement turret pack, this comes with 3 different turrets, 2 minigun barrels, the grenade launcher barrel and some other barrel I don’t need with a small fret of etch for the access panels on the underside! Now for the joys of sanding resin, dust masks at the ready people!
The Cobra build has slowed down a little this week, I had the problem with me breaking the skid off the left hand side of the model and had to fix this, well I did fix this, got some green paint layed down and then broke the skid on the right hand side of the model!
This had to get fixed and then more green laid down, then i noticed a problem where I had fixed the right hand skid so more sanding and I broke my fix! Many swears later I finally got the skid back attached without a hideous glue bulge and got the green layed down proper. This is her unmasked and ready for the gloss coats prior to decals