So I got the top half of the sub painted black and figures I might as well get the few decals on before I do any touch ups and detail painting, so here we are adding the decals, once these are dry and settled I might actually seal them in before continuing on with the detail painting etc just to give them a little protection incase something goes wrong.
Ok so the orange peeled paint was sanded and buffed to within an inch of its life and a new coat was laid down, this has gone a bit better than the last one but I am not entirely happy with it still but thats nothing new. It’s certainly passable so it’s time to move on.
So after a quick coat of my new AK primer, which went through the airbrush without issue, it was time to get some paint on the hull of the Seawolf, now I have heard that modern paints mean the red anti-fouling has been phased out and replaced with a black version but wheres the interest in that so off I went and I bought a jar of Tamiya’s hull red.
However a quick coat of this and it looked way too brown to my eye so after googling for what seemed like hours I came across a recommendation of mixing your own from x-9 red and x-1 black, I cant remember the exact ration but it was something like 5:1, this got the shade looking much better to my eye but I must have had pressure too high on my compressor for the amount of thinners I had mixed in as you can see from the photo above the finish was terrible!
Out with the fine and extra fine sanding sticks it is then to get this buffed up enough to take another, this time hopefully better, coat!
I know I said I wanted another quick build as a distraction but I am not sure there’s enough building to even count as a distracton! The sub itself only consists of 5 parts! Ok we still have the 3 parts for the stand left over but even still it made me laugh anyway.
Well It’s time for another new build to begin, I picked up some kits for much cheap online the other day, got them all heavily discounted as there was superficial damage to their boxes. All the kits inside were checked by the distributor though so I had no hesitation in ordering.
Anyway I digress, there was a few Submarines up for sale and having never built one before I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get my feet wet if you will pardon the pun.
So here is the first of the submarines I picked up. It’s a 1:700 scale USS SSN-21 Seawolf. I had no idea what to expect with these kits as I had never even looked at a model sub before but it seems at this scale theres seriously not much to them!
Still what little plastic is in the box is looking pretty nice. There’s no real flash or obvious moulding issues that I can see, theres an included display stand that already has the model description printd on it. The panel lines are engraved and at this scale I would suspect they are over scale, but if they were to scale they would be that fine you probably wouldn’t be able to see them.
Anyway lets get the sprue bag open and then glue out shall we!