Well she’s done, I know its not a great kit of the subject but I have enjoyed the build a lot. It went together without me wishing I hadn’ bothered starting it so whilst it may not be the most accurate kit around, with the exception of the intakes it was certainly hassle free, which is more than can be said for many kits out there!
Thanks to those that followed along with the build and I hope you like the end result!
Heres the new and improved seat. I added a back cushion that was made from lead substitute that I usually melt down for nose weights, the seatbelts are PE from the spares box, the ejection pull handle is some styrene rod bent round. I have also put a back on the seat and made some seat rails from more styrene rod that will be used to attach the seat to the newly installed bulkhead, which was fettled from a piece of styrene/plasticard. It’s not fantastic but it should help busy things up I think!
This weekend saw the annual East of Scotland Model Show put on by IPMS Dundee, which is the club I have recently joined. Unfortunately due to work commitments I was only able to attend for the last hour of the show but still there was plenty to see, a fantastic number of entries to the competition all of which were superb, the club displays from all the attending clubs were all top quality and there were of course plenty of temptations provided by the visiting vendors!
I didn’t grab many photos as arriving straight from work and in somewhat of a rush I only had my phone with me but these are some of my favourite builds from the show, hopefully next year I’ll be able to attend properly and get some builds in the competition myself.
Quick update on the Vampire, wingtips and intakes have been attached to the main part of the construction and I have put together the tail boom sub assembly, now to fit them together!
Well after what seemed like far too many parts of etch the cockpit is pretty much complete and it’s time to shut the fuselage up, meaning that most of the etch will never be seen again but that’s nothing new is it! Onward!
Progress slowed a little of late on this one but the intakes are looking OK to my eye, I put primer on to see what they looked like in paint and I don’t think they too bad at all considering the size of the step that was there. I left her belly up with the primer drying on the underside last night, which meant I spent a lot of time looking at those dodgy wheel wells. I may throw in some cabling or something to try and add a bit of interest, depends if I can find any reference images or not.
As a side from my builds I recently picked up a pair of these Tamiya Modellers Side Cutters or sprue cutters as they are sometimes called on a visit to my local model shop and I am that impressed thought I would post about them.
I was always skeptical about these when I saw them on the shelves of the model stores as they seemed so expensive, especially compared with my cheapo Draper cutters I had been repurposing as sprue cutters but I have to say these are worth every penny.
They feel solid and extremely well made, the handles are nicely moulded and don’t feel like the plastic is going to come off in your hand whilst you’re using them. The cutting edges are extremely sharp and the blades are narrow enough to get fairly close to the model part but easily avoid cutting too close and damaging the part.
I know theres nothing exciting about sprue cutters but if your in the market to get a new pair or are looking to upgrade your existing set then you could do a lot worse than to pick a pair of these up. They really do make the tedious task of removing parts from the sprues a little less tedious!
I knew the intakes were going to be an issue with this kit when I purchased it and right enough they’re an issue! I was going to remedy the issue with Styrene sheet as usual however I had thought about attempting a fix like this previously using several coats of Mr Surfacer but didn’t have the time to see it through, so this time I thought I would take the time to give it a go and see how it turns out, so on goes the first coat!
Well the progress on the MiG-27 is slowing down a little as there’s a lot of waiting around at the moment waiting for things to cure etc and I had just received an Aztec decal sheet for Vampires in Latin American colours so I thought I would make a start on a build of Revells boxing of the MPM Vampire F.Mk3 in 1/72nd and happily there’s still time to build as and entry for the Made in Britain Group build on Britmodeller so here we go!